Chapter 9

"I've cried tears you will never see

So fuck you

you can go cry me an ocean

And leave me be"

Save Rock and Roll - Fall Out Boy

-

Christmas break is soon. Which basically means that Luke needs to hurry up and find some money so he could buy everyone Christmas presents. He really wants to buy Michael a new video game, but he'll probably have to look into prostitution for that much and then some. And he has no idea what he's even going to get Cal. He doesn't really show any interest in anything.

Same for Ashton. Ashton doesn't really ever mention any hobbies or things that he wants. Well, he mentions a bunch of pets that he wants, but the thing is Luke doesn't really like pets. And if he was going to get one it would be a hamster or something. Nothing like a dog or cat because those are too much responsibility.

So Luke spent most of Saturday job hunting. Most were dead-ends, and he was really hoping to get into Hot Topic. A place where he can be in his element and be comfortable with himself. He also applied for Old Navy, Chik-fil-a, Pizza Hut, and many other simple mall outlets. Outside of the mall was Wal-Mart and Target.

"If you need money for presents, I'll give you some. And you don't have to get me one." Ashton always reminded him.

"No, no, no. I'm getting you a present if I want too. And I'm not taking your money, it's not like we're married or anything."

Luke smiled fondly at himself as he pulled out a cigarette.

-

On Tuesday he got a call from a cranky lady telling him he got the job at a car wash. And even though that's not the job he was looking forward too (because come on, it's a car wash) he still thanked the lady and rushed to Ashton to tell him the good news.

He knocked three times, as he usually did. Ashton never answered so he peered through the door.

"Ashton?" He walked in. "Hey babe, what's wrong?"

Luke carefully locked the door and looked at his former just-algebra-teacher.

"Fuck off, Luke."

Of course Luke was astonished when Ashton said this. Ashton had always been so sweet, calm, gentle, and patient. Luke can't even think of a time when Ashton was ever angry at anything.

So Luke kneeled down to be at eye level with Ashton. He pulled the tissue out of Ashton's hand and pushed his chin up.

Looking Ashton dead in the eye, he tried again. "What happened?"

"M-my mom... she uh- she has cancer.

Lung cancer and the doctor said she has an 80% survival rate, but what about the other 20%? What if it kills her?"

Ashton didn't mean to cry again. He had actually gotten himself to calm down before Luke even came in there.

"Oh, baby," Luke mumbled. He pulled Ashton into a hug and let Ashton cry on his chest. "It's not gonna kill her, okay? I promise."

"You don't fucking know that," Ashton spat. Luke doesn't like this Ashton. He's mean.

"Yes I do. 80 percent? That's great odds. And the medicine will help her and everything is going to be fine."

"Oh please, I no what that means. Fine does not mean fine, it means your pretending to be fine."

Luke shook his head, ready to protest but Ashton ignored.

"Just go please."

"Ash-"

"Luke. Go."

The words were like venom, and kind of made Luke want to cry. So Luke left, completely forgetting to tell Ashton about his job. His excitement was completely crushed.

-

They had an algebra substitute the next day. Luke kind of understood. His mom had cancer so of course he would need some time to mope and cope.

Luke texted Ashton.

Hey baby, you alright? Miss youuuu :-)

Ashton never responded.

-

Ashton never showed up again and Luke was really excited about new job that he was starting next Monday.

-

Ashton didn't show up on Wednesday and Luke was kind of getting worried.

-

It was Thursday and Luke was feeling more and more lonely. Calum and Michael tried to get him out of this slump, but truth is he just wanted to see his cute moppy headed boyfriend.

-

Thursday and Friday were the same. Except Luke skipped algebra to get weed from Justin.

He didn't even get enough.

-

Luckily Calum got a cold on Friday that had him bed ridden on Saturday. Moms orders. So Luke texted Michael and said,

No questions asked, if anyone asks where I was please tell them that I was at your house tonight. Cal's sick.

Of course using no questions asked from the beloved show, How I Met Your Mother.

And which Michael replied, Okay bro. Have fun and be safe!

Luke sighed in relief and grabbed a few things he would need for Ashton's. Before leaving he gave Calum's mom a kiss on the cheek and said, "I'm going to Michael's. See you tomorrow night."

-

(A/N)

I'm in school whoops