T A C E N D A

*Picture not related to the chapter, it just needs to be put here for my small heart to be content*

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: TACENDA

Everyone says destroy what destroys you, right?
But what if the thing destroying you is yourself?

  She looks like she could go through hell and back without shedding a tear." He looks at her once more, "But then she also looks like she could shatter into a million pieces just by touching her.

CARL

THE BROWN-EYED GIRL WALKED WITH HEAVY, SLOW FOOTSTEPS BESIDE ME, HER HAZY EYES LOST TO THE LIGHT OF NOON. As she walked, Her hands stayed entangled in the rough fabric of the leather jacket that Michonne had so kindly given her, one always seeming to stray towards the handle of her knife that was safely tucked away In its holster on her waist. I couldn't help but worry for this girl. I doubt I would ever stop. I had heard the words she had spoken to Michonne not long ago, only pretending to sleep out of my own curiosity of what she had to say. Yet I regretted it now because somehow I've uncovered a truth behind this girl's actions and I can't do anything else but wonder how to somehow uncover more.

Nobody talked as we walked, instead, the birds filled the somewhat comfortable silence, gaining the attention of my eyes as I look into the thick forestry absentmindedly. My cheek stung against the bitter fall breeze, the open wound reminding me of last night's events once more, filling my stomach with bile as Milah's fearful eyes appear in front of my own, shining in the darkness of my thoughts.

"You okay?" Looking up, my eyes meet those of Daryl's, questioning and prying as he looks down at me. I had stopped in the middle of the track without even realizing it, too engrossed in my own thoughts to even notice as Milah passed me without a single word.

"Yeah," I nod, staring at the blonde girl's back walking ahead of us, "yeah I'm fine."

Slowly, Daryl follows my gaze, adjusting the strap of his pack as he squints against the bright sun.

"Who's the girl?" He questions, nudging my leg with his crossbow as he begins to walk slowly once more.

Looking down at the dead leaves surrounding my feet, I slowly push myself forward, matching the older man's pace as I think on my words carefully.

"She's..." I start, brushing my hair out of my eyes as I tilt my head up once more, "She's Milah. I found her a little while ago, back when it was just dad and I."

"You know her story?"

"No," I answer, "Not all of it. But I'm getting there."

Silence fills the air between us as we continue walking, the sound of leaves crunching underneath our feet replacing the melodic sounds of the birds that once sung, now silent and watching in the trees.

"She seems....different," Daryl breaks the silence, turning his head to look at me fully, "she looks like she could go through hell and back without shedding a tear." He looks at her once more, "But then she also looks like she could shatter into a million pieces just by touching her."

Ahead of us, dad comes to a sudden stop, turning to wave us over with his left hand, a small smile on his face. Turning to Daryl, I peer up at him, waiting for him to finish.

"People like that are dangerous. They know how to survive. Best watch out for her."

And with that, he walks away.