Sniper: First For Everything

It was a normal day, only hotter. The noon sun was high up and you definitely believed in the phrase of 'hotter days and colder nights' in deserts like these. Everyone had just finished lunch around the table. Laughter was heard throughout the dining table as the mercenaries talked about their daily struggles with the enemy team. You sat back and listened to what stories they have to say this time.

"And I was like 'BONK!' And he went down!" Scout said as he slammed his palms emphatically on the table. "BOOM! Oh yeah!"

"An interesting display, I assure you." Spy added, lighting up a cigarette as he leaned back comfortably on his chair.

"Tiny man did well!" Heavy shouted, giving Scout an unexpected pat on the back which tipped Scout's hat a bit off his head.

You stood up, grabbing everyone's empty plates and placing them in the dishwasher. Medic helped you with the rest. As you turned back around, it was Soldier's turn to say his story. But before he could, the whirring of the ceiling fan stopped and everyone was silent. The dishwasher's light was off and Medic checked the refrigerator to see that it wasn't working.

"Great." You said, washing your hands on the sink and patting them dry on your pants. "The power's out."

"I'll go check the generator then." Engineer sighed as he stood up from his chair.

"No," Soldier said, raising a hand for everyone to see. "There's a Spy around here somewhere."

The thought didn't occur to you but it could be possible. The 2Fort rarely has had any power outages so there has to be some other explanation.

"I'll at least take this day's M.V.P. With me to the generator, then." Engineer said, sighing. Soldier's helmet swayed slowly in contrast to his quick nod.

"I suggest everyone should go in pairs, this is a spy we're dealing with." The Frenchman of the same class added. Everyone knew who they were going to be pairs with just like in a classroom with pairs of best friends. You rolled your eyes, knowing you were a bit distant to everyone because of your gender. So you eluded everyone's gaze and focused on cleaning the last of the dishes.

Soon enough, everyone exchanged firm nods and one by one started leaving the dining area. Sniper was assigned on the lookout in the water tower for any spies lurking about the 2Fort. It didn't sound too farfetched yet it wouldn't hurt to be on the safe side.

You were done and about to leave as well but Soldier placed a strong hand on your shoulder to turn you back around. "Sniper will be needing all the help he could get today--"

"Wait, what are you implying?" You interrupted only to be shushed by him continuing his sentence again.

"YOU will be joining him in the tower," Soldier finished, walking ahead of you. "Two pairs of eyes in the sky are better than one, maggot."

And that was it. You were about to protest with a 'Why me?' excuse but Soldier was already gone. He had left you no choice but to accept. Typical Soldier.

"Guess we'll be sittin' ducks this afternoon, mate?" You jumped as you heard that unmistakable Australian accent behind you.

"Yeah," you sighed, taking a deep breath to let all of this sink in., not even turning around to look at him. "Give me some time to get my stuff ready. I'll come up later."

He chuckled at your lack of enthusiasm at the situation. "We should have a code when you come up. Wouldn't want to spend a whole afternoon locked up in the tower with a Spy now, would we?"

"Alright, then. What do you have in mind?"

He thought about it for a moment, smiling as he scratched his chin. He looks at you, pulling his orange-tinted sunglasses down a bit as he walks closer to you. "Men are like coffee, best ones're rich and warm..." He whispered, pausing a moment to let you guess what the rest are. He leans closer to your ear. So close, you swear you could smell actual coffee from his breath. "... And they keep you going all night long. See you at the tower, sheila."