XIII // Can We Cancel All Forms of Confrontation?

Sunday

September 20, 1977

Gryffindor Girl's Dormitory

It has just occurred to me that my birthday is just under two weeks away. All I can say is that I'm glad it falls on the weekend after the Hogsmeade trip because I'm not sure I would have been able to successfully cope with Remus and Dorcas on a date or whatever tomfoolery he'd like to refer to it as on my 18th birthday.

In the wizarding world people don't really care as much when you turn eighteen, but I know that mum does. She's terribly disappointed she won't get to see me on the first day I enter my 'adult life' or whatever, but I can't say that I'm complaining. She'd make an awful fuss and there's only so much stress I can handle.

Anyway, Lily and Lottie want to have a party - they say because it falls on a Saturday it's the perfect opportunity for a party, but like - who would I even invite? My two friends? I'm just trying not to think about it really.

Also, not much to report from recent times, except for the fact that Black has been successfully avoiding me and my wrath. He knows I would never do anything to jeopardise my academic standing so he makes sure he's last to class and first to leave so that I can't hex his ears into frogs. He was even conveniently absent from Potions on Thursday because of 'sickness'.

Pomfrey wouldn't bend under my questioning. I told her I would make it a habit to come to the hospital wing every other day if she didn't tell me what Black was ailing from and she told me that it wouldn't make a difference seeing as it already was one of my apparent habits.

Why must Pomfrey treat me this way? I thought we were friends!

I'm slowly plotting different ways to get back at Black for his little mishap. My first idea was to get the pollen from some lilies and put it in all his clothes so when he puts them on his skin will stain the lovely colour of turmeric, and when he tries to remove the stains he will find that they are magic and cannot be removed, and then be forced to spend the next week or so with orange coloured skin.

I then thought I could do something far easier for much less effort, so I vetoed that idea. Lily's been giving me a bunch of ideas too - like the antler thing except a goats tail where his– well, I don't need to go into detail, but basically transfiguring others of his body parts into oddly shaped items. Lottie thinks I should just let it go because I'm finally finished my detentions and I don't really need any more. I think Lottie needs to sort out her priorities. Just because I'm a prefect and get good grades or whatever doesn't mean I have to lead by example.

McGonagall was kind enough to let me off a couple of detentions, so I finished them on Friday, thank Merlin. This means that I am finally free from spending at least an hour each day with Black and his disgusting face that looks frustratingly hexable whenever I see it.

Ugh.

Lottie tells me I should move past this whole incident with the letter and all, I mean I've written mother and told her that under no circumstances would Black and I ever consider dating, and I'm offended that she would think that in the first place, and that if she wishes to receive any further correspondence from me she should refrain from writing Black in the future.

She's yet to get back to me. It's been three days.

I mean I would obviously like to move past this as it's really putting a strain on my mental health, and as a seventh year I really don't need any more issues weighing on my mind aside from whether or not I'm going to pass my NEWTs. Speaking of which, Mark Abery has contacted me again (he sent me a note via owl and I offered to give it to Lottie to keep, to which she raised an eyebrow and preceded to ignore me) and we're going to meet in ten minutes at the library to go over some charms things, which I should be preparing for.