Chapter Five | Planning

"I'm making plans to be lonesome
'Cause you're making plans to leave"
»«

Dana frowned at the thermometer. "You've got a temperature of 102.4 degrees Farenheit, Mr. Hastings. They'll want you to stay a little longer to make sure it is nothing serious."

"I vas vondering vhy I vas getting zo hot." He gave her a charming smile. "I just figured it vas because of you, hasenfurz."

That earned him a laugh, despite the younger woman not knowing what the new pet name meant. "Unfortunately, no. It's just a fever." She wrote the update down on his file. "I'll have a doctor get you some medicine to bring that down, and we'll see what happens from there." She smiled.

"Does zat mean I vill be seeing you more often vfor longer?" He asked.

Dana shrugged. "If you're awake tomorrow morning, then yes. But my shift ends in fifteen minutes, so for today? This is the last you will see of me."

He didn't look too disappointed, but it was clear he was looking forward to seeing her around a little while longer. "Ah, zhen I vill make sure to be avake for you." His blue-grey eyes sparkled. "Until zhen, I zuppose I vill try to like my new nurse."

Chuckling, Dana closed the file. "I'm sure you will. Most of the nurses here are very sweet." She gave him a little wave. "See you tomorrow morning, Mr. Hastings."

"I vill see you then, hasenfurz." He smiled, making her once again jealous of his incredibly white teeth, and watched her leave.

Nurse Darby was finishing up with her file as well, her hair a little frazzled and eyes showing signs of red. Something had not gone well.

"Hello, Ms. Darby." Dana smiled, trying to lift her spirits a little. "Do you want to stop by somewhere and grab a bite to eat before we head to our . . . Friend's house?"

June shook her head. "Not today, Dana." She rolled her neck along her shoulders. "I just need to go home today."

"Oh, alright then. Get a good night's sleep m'kay?" It didn't take a genius to figure out that today had not been a good day for the ER nursing staff. Well, ER hardly ever had a good day, but today must have been worse than others. It would be rude to press for details, and making June relive what she witnessed was just cruel.

The woman nodded again, tucking her files away and then heading to the locker rooms to change and leave for home.

Dana organized her own files as well, chatting briefly with a few other nurses before she too headed to the locker room and slipped on some more comfortable clothes, dialing a number on her phone.

"Twice in one day?"

"Happy to hear you too, honey." She said sarcastically. "Hey, I'm heading out now. Going to grab something to eat and then make my way over. Any of the others there?"

Ratchet paused. "No. Just Rafael."

"Does he want anything?" She questioned.

Another pause ensued before the medic answered. "He says he's fine. But if you're going to get fast food, get a happy meal. He wants the toy."

She smiled. "Going to try and build another mini-death machine out of it?"

The faint retort of "it was one time!" Made her giggle. If he wanted a toy, she could get him a toy. Though he didn't quite specify what gender of toy he wanted . . .