Chapter Eight | Mixed Messages

"They just won't understand these things
Thank you for your message
But I don't understand"

»«

"I'm going under soon."

Dana held her phone with a frown, leaning against the lockers. "Do you know how long the operation will take?"

"Depending on how well Arcee does, a few hours or a few minutes." Ratchet replied. "If it's a few minutes, I'm probably not going to wake up again.

"I should be there!" Dana stood up straight. "I'm a lot smaller than her hands. I could be like a sentient, mobile scalpel."

"And die the moment you cut something and get doused with energon." Her guardian reprimanded. "Besides, aren't you at work?"

"Well, yeah." She pouted, crossing her free arm over her body. "But that doesn't mean I can't take off. This is an emergency."

"The odds of me dying are very low anyways." The medic scoffed. "I'll be fine, I promise."

She sighed. "Call me the moment you wake up?"

"That might be a bad idea, as I don't know how I'll react under the sedative, but we'll see."

"Gonna reveal your biggest secrets to me?" She teased.

"Hopefully not." He didn't sound too happy about the jab. "I have to go, Bee is ready for the operation. I will call you sometime after."

"Alright. I'll be looking forward to it." She hung up on him, resting against the lockers once more. Though she was a little upset he didn't discuss the donation of his T-cog to her, it was his decision to make; and it wasn't like she was in any position to protest. While she would miss the epic sword fights and the ambulance rides, if he felt that he could do without such things, then so could she.

It wasn't like they were a married couple anyways, so what he did to his body wasn't any of her business.

Closing the locker again, she shot a glare at a nosy co-worker, who simply looked away quickly and flushing a little, pretending to have not just been eavesdropping. Pocketing her phone, Dana made her way back to the desk, picking up a file. To her secret delight she found that she could visit Leroy one last time before he was discharged, smiling as she made her way to his room.

"Ah, hasenfurz." He beamed. "I vas vondering if you vere coming back."

She returned his grin. "Yup, yup. But unfortunately, this will be your last time, I'm sorry to say." She gave him a sad look. "You're going to be discharged today."

"Yes, yes, zat us vhat I heard." He nodded solemnly. "I suppose it is a good zing, getting out of a hospital. But zhen I vill not be able to see your pretty face every day."

"Aw, thank you." She laughed with a blush, taking his vitals. "But I wouldn't recommend getting yourself into this hospital just to see me." She winked, still smiling. "Too expensive."

He nodded. "Yes, zat is ze unfortunate thing about you being here in America. If zis was Germany, then I could most certainly afford to see you."