Chapter Five: Smile

PLAY HEROES BY ALESSO FOR THIS CHAPTER

---

I wake up to the sun gleaming through my window. Rolling over, I sigh in content that the weekend is finally here. I check the time and then jump out of bed.

I walk down the stairs and make my tea. It is almost like a ritual at this point. After all the years of living alone, I pretty much know how to take care of myself. I know how to cook, clean, and pretty much everything else.

It's been three weeks since Jett had told me that I am his best friend. I have to admit, I've been pretty giddy since then. How crazy is it to have a real friend?

And yes, I know this is pathetic, but it's been pretty lonely these past months ever since I lost Lauren and Chris. It's weird to think that they were ever my friends... my boyfriend.

The thought makes me roll my eyes, and quite frankly I kind of want to throw up just thinking about it.

I plop myself down on the couch and get going on this weekend's homework. I've always been great in math... until AP calculus came along. I'm beginning to question why I even took it in the first place.

My immediate thought is to call Jett and have him help me, because lord knows that I can't do this on my own. I'll probably go crazier than I already am if I do.

I dial his number and wait for him to pick up.

"Hey, Junie" he says casually as he picks up the phone.

"I have an emergency." I say with urgency in my tone.

"What's going on?! Are you okay? Is there some creep?!" He asks.

"Worse." I reply.

"Okay what's going on?! You're officially scaring me right now." Jett says firmly.

"It's Mr. Truman's AP calculus homework." I shout in an over dramatic tone.

"Good lord. Don't scare me like that. What is wrong with you?!" He yells, causing me to laugh.

"Just come over and help me."

"Fine. I'll be there in fifteen minutes."

I hang up and go back to pretending to know what I am doing on the homework. I pet Rosie and hope to God that I do not fail this class.

***

The doorbell rings and I jump up to get it. I open it and a gust of cold air sends chills down my spine, but all traces of the brisk feeling goes away when I see Jett standing there. His shoulders are casually leaning against the door frame and I have to look up to see his face because of how tall he is. He wears a navy blue and black letterman jacket, signifying that he is on the football team. I raise an eyebrow, surprised that he is on the team.

"You're on the football team?" I ask with a smirk on my face, entertained by this shocking revelation.

"Yup, but i promise I won't be like Chris because I am not like that. The stereotypes don't make me hate you they are pretty stupid but you are still me best frie-"

"Shut up, you sound like a dork," I say to him, "I honestly don't give a crap if you play on the team or not."

He grins sheepishly before changing the subject.

"So, about that math homework." He says.

"Help me, simple." I say with a grin spreading across my face.

***

"There, now you're done. That wasn't so hard, right?" Jett exclaims cheerfully.

"I want to cry." I reply dryly.