15 | game party, overprotective friend and big changes

15|

15|

game party, overprotective friend and big changes

"ROSE?"

I knock on the door softly for what feels like the tenth time in the past sixty seconds but the response, or yet better non-response, is still the same. She doesn't make the effort to open up or call me in, and I don't feel like I know her well enough to just barge in without her permission.

The only thing that's left for me to do is to lean against the wall and count the next painfully long seconds in my head, all while thinking about the sudden shift in Collin regarding his nice behavior, before the door slowly creaks open, revealing a tiny figure.

"You want to come in?" Ellie, I assume, asks me as she holds the door open. Ellie and Evie look almost the same, and even though having a twin sister may make things look like it's easier for me to tell other twins apart, it's not really that helpful. Actually, it's not helpful at all.

"Uhm," I flex and un-flex my fingers at my sides nervously, trying to find out a way how to say what I want without coming off rude. "Can I talk to Rose?"

"She's not he-"

"That's fine, Ellie. She can come in."

Ellie's little hand moves, hesitantly opening the door all the way, before she steps carefully aside to let me in. I hesitate with my first step because I don't really know how to act in this kind of situation. Same as I don't know whether Rose actually wants to talk about what just happened downstairs, or not. This is not my place to edify in, especially when I consider all the Brad-related stuff going on in my own life, but for some reason, I do feel the need to check on her.

The first thing I notice when I enter the room are the blinds still drawn shut, creating a mild darkness. Squinting a little, I locate Rose's body bundled up under what looks like several blankets. By the time my eyes move to her face, she's already staring at me.

"Girls? Collin's making you breakfast. You want to go help him downstairs to clean up a little before mom comes home?"

"Not really," Ellie mutters quietly, but before she can protest further, Evie pushes off her bed and grabs her hand, dragging her out. When the door finally closes behind them, muffling out the endless string of Ellie's complaining, the knot in my stomach tightens even more. Having the girls here with us had a slightly calming effect on me but now that it's only Rose and me here . . . I don't really know which way should I choose to lead the conversation.

The nervousness gets to me, and I try to calm myself down a little by stepping from one foot to the other, which surely only makes me look more pathetic in return.