Wednesday - The Date

The buzz of your phone's ringtone calls out to you from underneath a pile of dirty clothes lying on your floor. The sound snaps you out of your trance, gazing out the upper-story window at the steadily falling rain. Quickly you reach for your phone, picking it up to see an unfamiliar number. Puzzled, you answer hesitantly.

"Hello?"

"H-Hi y/n, it's me Jeremy!" A familiar voice stammers from the other end. Smiling fondly you head down the stars, phone still pressed to your ear.

"Hi Jem, sup? I was just coming to work-" You reply while heading out the door, rain still pouring down but you remain indifferent.

"Y/n, I h-have s-something b-big to ask y-you." He squeaks nervously, stammering more than usual. Frowning to yourself you ask,

"Okay, what is it?"

"U-ummmm....." He coughs nervously through the receiver and you can practically see his anxious face.

"W-well, we've o-only known each other f-for a day or t-two now..." He stammers on, "B-but I, I..." He gulps loudly.

"Y/N WILL YOU PLEEASE COVER FOR ME TODAY!" He shouts suddenly with one big hit of courage, startling you to a stop.

"Jeremy--" You start but he stops you with a stammering apology.

"Sorry, s-sorry, I- It's just, just... I have this... d-date..." A broad smile begins to overwhelm your face.

"WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY SO!" You yell in excitement, to his surprise. "Who's the lucky lady?"

"W-well..." Jeremy begins, relieved, letting out a deep breath which he had been holding for a while now. "H-her name is Vanessa..."

"Ooo, she sounds cute." You grin through the receiver.

"Y-Y/N!" Jeremy cries, not-so-secretly blushing in embarrassment as you chuckle over the line.

"Don't worry Jeremy, I'll cover for you." You finally reply with a sheepish grin.

"T-thank you SO MUCH y-y/n!" He says letting out another relieved sigh, "I can't th-thank you enough..."

"No probs Jem-Jem." You reply, finally reaching the pizzeria and ducking inside out of the pouring rain, "See you tomorrow!"

"B-bye!" You hear him reply just before the phone cuts out.

•••

As you walk with purpose towards Freddy's you absentmindedly shove your hands into your pockets and to your surprise, feel something in your right pocket. Pulling the small object out, you lay it flat on your hand, slowly the cogs in your memory start to turn... Last night... You realise, it must be the piece that fell... You peer at it curiously, it doesn't seem to be that interesting. It is a black circle of plastic, barely bigger than a coin, and exceptionally plain.

Annoyed that you couldn't figure out what it was, you shove it back into your pocket. You'll look at it later, right now it was time to cover for Jem-Jem.

•••

Looking around the pizzeria you notice two things; first, Scott waving you over frantically to the front desk with a terrified look on his face (or, wait, receiver?). And second, Mike having what looked like a pizza-eating competition with Fritz at one of the spare tables. As much as the latter intrigued you, sadly, you felt obligated to help Scott.

Walking to the front desk a woman catches your eye who is standing with her arms crossed, nostrils flaring, and brown locks of curly hair practically flaming in anger. She was currently glaring at Scott who was glancing at you desperately.