Thursday - The calm before the storm

You wake up suddenly to the sound of your familiar text-tone emanating from beside your head. Turning to your side sleepily you see your phone screen glowing through your h/c clumps of hair strewn around your pillow. With a yawn, you reach forward picking up the comfortable weight and turning the screen to face your e/c half-closed eyes.

The number to which you associated with Fritz shines out with a surprisingly long message.

'Hey y/n, do u think you could come 2work early today? Ineed some help with the maintenance of the animatronics and stuff. We can have lunch afterwards if u want? orsomehtin '.

Thank god for autocorrect, you think with a smile as you type your reply.

'Yeah, sure. Ill come in & we can have lunch if u want.'

He replies almost immediately;

'Thanks you y/n! Ill make it up 2 u somehow! Come at around 11.'

'Np', You reply before checking the time; 10:00am. With a loud yawn you get up to make the long trek to the bathroom.

•••

Once you had gotten ready for the day and had breakfast, it was getting shockingly close to eleven. So with only a quick wave of goodbye to your parents you exited the house scraping your (somehow already scuffed) work shoes against the tarmac. The sun was shining down rather pleasantly in contrast to yesterday's heavy rain. A few puddles still remained in certain ditches and potholes but that was all the evidence that remained of the previous day's weather.

You were feeling rather positive (as you had been for the past few days now) as you entered the pizzeria, and even the headache-inducing screams of children didn't dampen your mood. With an infectious smile you made a bee-line for the backstage door, not wanting to have to edge around the animatronics during their performance. Entering you saw Fritz focusing intently on the back of a slumped animatronic figure which seemed to be... a canine of some kind..? Fritz's tongue was stuck out in concentration as he twiddled with a screwdriver, but as he saw you he quickly broke into a grin.

"Y/n!" He exclaims, tilting his head back to keep his glasses from falling down his nose, as all his hands were occupied. "Uuuh, mind helping me out here?" He asks sheepishly as you approach, kneeling down next to him.

"Yeah, just hold-this-here. Thanks." He finishes with relief as you push against a metal plate he had been holding with his right hand.

A couple minutes pass in silence as he sits working, until you decide to initiate conversation.

"So, who's this?" You inquire gesturing to the slumped metal figure.

"Hmm?" Fritz asks, prying his eyes away from the metal workings long enough to see what you had gestured to. "Oh! This is good old cap'n Foxy." He replies, patting the animatronic fondly. "Yeah, run down way back in nineteen-eighty... something, or maybe it was nineteen-ninety... I don't know." He shrugs going back to work. "Hey, mind holding that for a sec?" He asks pointing to another metal plate.

Doing what he asks, you turn to observe the pirate fox's front. "He looks pretty bad." You point out helpfully.

Fritz doesn't reply to your comment but instead knits his eyebrows together and twists one final screw into place.

"AHA!" He exclaims surprising you enough to almost let go of the plates. "It's good to go!"He leans back, examining his work with pride. "Okay, I'm going to turn it on now. Just keep the plates in place." He crosses his fingers tightly together with one hand and reaches forward with the other, hovering it over a red switch. "Here goes nothing-" He presses the switch...