The Sorting.

'Welcome to Hogwarts.' began Professor McGonagall. 'Before you take your seats in the Great hall and enjoy the start-of-term feast, you will be sorted into your houses.'                                                  The students glanced at each other nervously. 'Now, the Sorting Ceremony is very important, for your house will be your second family while you are here at Hogwarts.' She continued. 'The four houses are called Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, Slytherin and Gryffindor. Each house has its own noble history and has produced a fair number of of outstanding witches and wizards. Your triumphs will earn your house points, but any rule-breaking will cost you points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points will be awarded The House Cup.                                                    The Sorting Ceremony will begin shortly in the Great Hall in front of the rest of the school. I shall return when we are ready for you.' said Professor McGonagall. 'Please wait quietly.'                   
'What will we have to do?' Lily asked. 'A test?'                                                              

    'I don't think so. They haven't taught us anything yet.' Replied Severus. But he was trying to remember and memorize the spells he taught himself while he was at Spinner's End.                                     'She said we'll be sorted in front of the whole school, Sev.' She reminded him, 'Doesn't that bother you?'                                                     

 Unlike her and the rest of the students, Severus was feeling calm. He had learnt enough to help him through whatever they were going to do.                                                  

      'I heard we'll have to fight a troll!'  Whispered a kid next to them.       

  'Don't be silly, Frank, that's absurd.'A girl laughed nervously.                  

      They were spared from waiting any longer, for Professor McGonagall returned. 'Now, form a line.' she said in a sharp voice. 'And follow me.'                                                      

   The first-years formed a line, and Severus was sandwiched between Lily, who was behind him, and the boy named Frank, who was infront of him.                                                

   They walked out of the chamber, back across the hall and through a pair of double doors into the Great Hall. It was lit with thousands of candles that hung in midair over four long tables, where the rest of the students were sitting. At the top of the Hall was another long table where the teachers were sitting.                                                 

   'Wow.' whispered Severus and Lily in unision. Severus felt his cheeks go red.                                           Professor McGonagall led the first-years up to the top of the Hall, so they came to a halt facing the other students, with the teachers behind them. Severus looked upwards and saw a velvety black ceiling dotted with stars. Severus remembered reading in Hogwarts, A History that the ceiling was bewitched to look like the  sky outside.                                           

   Severus looked down again and watched Professor McGonagall as she silently placed a four-legged stool in front of the first-years. On top of the stool she placed an old pointed wizard's hat. Saying it was old is putting it mildly. The hat was patched, frayed and extremely dirty. Everyone was staring at the hat. For a few moments, there was complete silence. Then the hat twitched, and suddenly got ripped near the brim. Then the hat, to Severus' amazement, started to sing.