Chapter 6

Why can't my bad decisions only affect me?

The cafeteria is like the houses in Harry Potter, I swear. Where you sit is uber important. Because I'm part of the popular group, we don't have a designated spot. We pick and choose depending on the day and if we've decided to eat off campus or not. Everyone revolves around us.

Except for one table.

The Dungeons and Dragons table.

Lauren's table. If this was middle school, it would be my table too.

Lunch is split in two. I'm in the later lunch with a few of my friends but Dinah is in the earlier lunch. So I park my butt next to Normani for some girl talk before all the guys get here.

"Where were you on Friday?" Normani gives me that you-totally-hooked-up-and-ditched-your-friends look.  "Got my butt grounded." Excuse number two is what I decide to go with.

"How'd you pull that one off?" Normani takes a sip of her diet soda and strokes the top of her boobs with her fingertips. I think it's out of habit now. A guy from third period walks by not even pretending he doesn't notice her doing this. "Being a bitch to my nosey parents." I roll my eyes to keep up with the act. My parents are anything but nosey, but according to Popular Camila, parents are evil people who want to take control of every aspect of their child's life.

"That sucks." Her eyes flick toward Austin across the cafeteria and mine follow. He's got his arm around his next victim and when he catches me staring, he rams his tongue in her mouth. "Sexy." Normani laughs. "I take it you two aren't... you two anymore?" I'm so not talking about the freaky attack with her. I mean, if I wouldn't even tell Dinah...

"Well, it's been a month."

"Oh wow. I didn't realize you two had been together that long. You're right. Time for fresh meat." She gazes around the cafeteria, and I'm happy she's momentarily distracted so I don't have to talk about my ex.

Douchebag. "Is there a guy here you haven't dated?"

I force a giggle. "There are lots, but I'd rather gouge my eyes out than kiss any of them." She nods. "I know, right? But there must be someone." She's still scoping out the room, her eyes hungry for the next Mr.Cabello.

"Well, there's Shawn," she says after a minute, pointing at him from across the cafeteria. He's got his drumsticks out—like always—and is patting a beat against his legs. His smile is pretty cute. But he's two years younger, so I'm surprised Normani mentions him at all. "He's a sophomore."I reply."Yeah, but look at him. He's got the muscles, the eyes, and the hair. He plays the drums. And I mean look at his feet. If anything you've got something very satisfying to look forward to."

 I burst out laughing, which isn't very attractive, but I can't help it. "Why don't you take a stab at him, then?" I reply. "I already have three boyfriends. A fourth will complicate things." And three isn't complicated. Yeah. Sounds like Normani. I shake my head. "I don't think Shawn is my type." Yeah, my type watches Spider-Man documentaries and wears a Star Wars keychain.

"Fine. We'll find a shrimp for you." She straightens in her seat to scan the room again. "There's a lot more pickin's for you in this department." She laughs. "I mean, have a go at anyone at the Dungeons and Doofus' table. I get to my knees to get a better look at the scrawny nerds, all leaning over their game board. I don't let anyone know of course, but I could totally whoop their butts at D&D, and I kind of want to.

I give a fake shudder as I settle back down in the booth. "I think I threw up a bit." Total bull. Normani giggles and takes another sip of her drink. "Well, let me know which one you want to deflower. I'll make a public announcement."