Chapter 13

Someone needs to explain to him what a booty call is.

"Will Dinah's parents be home?" Dad shuts the fridge and pops open a can of Diet Coke before looking at me. I give him the "impatient daughter" roll of the eyes.

"Yes, Dad. It's just a sleepover. Girl stuff."

He takes a sip before answering. "Girl stuff." He pauses, taking another drink. "No boys then?" Duh. "No boys, Dad. It's going to be Dinah and me. Maybe Normani." That's a fat-ass lie.

I haven't seen Lauren since our fight, and I yell at myself every time I realize I'm thinking about it. It's not like I can make anything better or that I want to. I'm done with that craptastic attempt at getting her attention.

Ally's party tonight is exactly what I need to forget this whole frakking mess.

"I don't know..." Dad leans against the counter and it creaks under his weight. "Who's going to watch your sister?"

"I don't need a babysitter," Sofia pipes from the table, her fingers curled in front of her face so she can blow her nails dry. "Mom'll be home at like ten, right?" She flicks her gaze to me then back to Dad. "So I'll only be alone for an hour or so."

Dad grunts and rubs the stubble on his chin. "And you'll behave? Both of you?"

"Yes," we say together. His eyes go back and forth between us before he lets out a puff of air. "Okay. But Camila, you bring your phone and answer it if your sister calls. And Sofia, no friends, and no leaving this house."

We both nod and Dad chugs the rest of his soda. "All right, I'll see you girls tomorrow."

Late shift. Again. Always really. It bugs me how much he and Mom work, but not tonight. Tonight I need them gone.

The second he leaves I run upstairs to change. I pull out the purple number I was going to wear at the last party and strip down to my undies. The window isn't even open because I'm done with that. I can't do it anymore. I need to forget about those amazing—yes, amazing—few days I had with her. Because it's not... it can't be what I really want. I've worked so hard to be this person. The girl who goes to parties and gets the boys and who everyone wants to be.

And Lauren doesn't want anything to do with that person. Guess I have to live with that.

Plopping onto my bed, I dig my phone from my jeans. There are a few texts and for a second my brain gets really stupid hoping they're from Lauren. My stomach does a twist turny thing when I open the messages, then drops when I see they are all from Shawn.

I guess I can't blame him for trying to get a hold of me. I never gave him my number—I'm sure one of my friends did—but I did give him some tongue. He's probably waiting for his booty call.

He won't have to wait much longer. If I'm going to stay popular and forget Lauren, I better do it right this time. Not halfway.

I'll c u @ the party 2nite. I hit send and toss my phone behind me. There's something stinging behind my eyes, but I shake my head and focus on getting dressed. Yeah, a party and a new boy will cure whatever is wrong with me.

"You're not going to Hope's, are you?" Sofia leans against my doorframe, not looking at me, but at her feet. "You going to rat me out?"I ask.

"No." She steps in my room and settles on the center of my bed. "I'm a good sister." I roll my eyes and go back to putting on my eyeliner. "You were in the effing hospital. I had to tell Mom."

"I-I know." My head whips around, and I swipe a big black mark across my cheek. Sofia's not looking at me, she's picking at a loose thread in my comforter. I don't even know how to respond. She's never agreed with me on anything.