Witness {Eyeless Jack X Reader} Chapter 10

You were cold, very cold. Shivering as if the surrounding was area was covered in ice yet it was just a normal street. A very familiar street leading into a dark alley you knew quite well. Deja vu hit you like a wall as your body froze. Blood and guts splattered everywhere, organs decorating the entire path. There was only one body yet the scene looked as if many more were killed. The scent of blood was nauseating and stronger than anything you'd ever smelled. It was dead silent, more than a quiet night it was if your ears weren't working at all. A shadowing figure stood feet from you, an dark silhouette that stood without movement. This all felt familiar on so many levels. Some part of you seemed to know the end, to expect a certain outcome. The figure would approach and everything would go black, you were almost desperately waiting for it as if it would save you.

But it never happened. The figure got closer but not close enough. Light seemed to pour out of nowhere and shine on them, illuminating their appearance. It was Jack, and more importantly he wasn't wearing his mask. His empty sockets were staring right at you, as if peering into your soul. You held your breath, shaking more from fear than cold by now. Yet he didn't move, he just stood their as that disgusting goop dripped from his eyes. Down his face, down his clothes, down onto the floor. Until it seemed to flow at an even faster pace, covering the alley floor with a black pool. It filled up higher and higher. It felt disgusting and warm, as if it was burning every inch of your body it touched as it crept up your legs. Your eyes never left his face, which had become so covered in darkness that all you could see were those empty holes.

The pool had grown higher now, up along the bottom of your chest. Suddenly, as if free from some trance you found yourself in control of your body again. Your lower half was unable to move from both the goop and the pain. Tears poured down your eyes, they burned as well. When you saw the drops on your clothes you found not water but dark droplets. A scream pierced the alley as you frantically moved your arms around like it would help. The blackness was rising, brushing along the bottom of your neck now. The pain only made you cry and scream more, resulting in your face getting burned by your own tears.

With one last hope you looked to Jack, pleading wordlessly beyond your screams to save you. He didn't move, but after a moment from under the liquid on his face his lips curled into a sinister grin that showed off his shark like teeth. Fear filled you even more at the realization he wouldn't help. The disgusting fluid had almost reached your mouth, so you gave one last scream. "JACK!" As soon as the word left your mouth it was filled with burning thick liquid. It hurt so badly, breathing was a struggle and soon it'd be impossible. With your still free eyes you could see Jack's response. His smile faded and he tilted his head, as if trying to process what's going on.

"[Your name]...?" His voice was soft, and filled you with hope. He could save you now! You'd become unable to breathe, with your nose being covered and obstructed by darkness. Your lungs burned and every part of your body hurt but for just a few more moments you'd have vision. You watched as Jack stepped forward, being able to move just fine within the murky depths of the alley. Slowly he reached out his hand, and by some miracle you'd been able to pull yours from the pool and hold it up as high as you could to reach his. Just as your black dripping fingers brushed against his, he was gone. As if everything had changed he'd disappeared. The sudden emptiness you felt was worse than the black liquid drowning you. You got a good look at the empty alley, without Jack, before you were swallowed by the darkness completely.

You shot up out of bed, tears dripping down your face as you breathed heavily. Your room was empty, the clock reading 5:30 AM meant your visitor had likely left some time ago. It took several moments for you to calm down and realize it was just a dream, a horrible nightmare. Of course since the summer started, and earlier in life a bit, you were no stranger to nightmares. Typically they involved the night everything went wrong, usually Jack killing you or just showing exaggerated versions of your memories. This. This was entirely different. You were sure, your built up fear from seeing Jack's true face, and the creepiness behind it, led to this.

You can't remember the feeling of the black goop anymore, just that it felt awful like drowning in burning syrup. Looking at your skin you see it's fine, you're fine and everything is fine. Even after that you don't feel much more scared of Jack himself, seeing as he hadn't even done anything in that vision. Heck, he'd almost been your savior, again.

Almost... He disappeared at the last moment, leaving you alone. You knew it was a dream but... People can't just disappear. Unless... They're not real. You're flashed back to when this all started, when you'd find yourself praying at every possible moment that none of this was real, that it was all some dream or hallucination. Back then, you'd found comfort in those thoughts. But now, thinking them again, you felt horribly empty. A feeling you'd had since waking up but was now multiplied.

What if he really wasn't real? What if he was just some hallucination your mind made up to entertain yourself this summer? Some horrific adventure based on stupid shows you'd watched? Some kind of imaginary friend? Your body shook with each thought. It'd be nice knowing you were never in danger and didn't really have a killer hanging around you, but you were scared. First of all, what kind of person dreams this? If it's all in your head maybe you're the crazy one! Sick twisted and fantasizing about serial killers? You were scared that that was who you really were, and if you admitted it you'd never be the same again. Knowing you might have totally made it up made you feel pathetic, like it was a sign you couldn't handle being alone when you were so close to being an adult and would have to. Maybe you were really just some kid after all.

Yet beyond all that, the fears of what it means that you dreamt this, was another fear. Jack not being real in itself meant it was all fake. He hadn't protected you, or come to see you because he liked your company. You hadn't grown to like his as well, you hadn't started to like him just slightly. You hadn't started thinking he was attractive. Whatever relationship you had didn't exist, you were just a normal girl who wasn't special to anyone. It hurt the most to realize if it was fake, you wouldn't really have had him.

A dry laugh fell from your lips are you started to cry harder. Look at you, bawling over the thought of not having your serial killer friend around. You'd been so stubborn to always look at reality and acknowledge he was a monster, you said you'd never be like those girls from movies or books, and sometimes real life, that get a form of Stockholm Syndrome. But in the end you were wrong, it happened. You were pathetic and weak, unable to help but grow attached to someone who was nice to you. Sure he wasn't some charming gentleman, but he'd saved your life and chose not to end it. He'd come and talked to, he'd never hurt you. He was a monster yet he'd been kind to you of all people. You hated yourself for liking it, for wanting to be around him more.

Everything hurt. The fear of not knowing what was real, the fear of losing Jack, the horrific feeling of realizing that you liked him. It was all so much, too much in fact. You didn't know what to do to make it stop or to cope. You thought you might end up doing something bad. Until you heard a knock on your door.

"Honey? Are you alright?" It wasn't till that moment you'd realized how loud you'd been crying, sobbing into your hands louder than one should be at this time.

"M-Mom..." You couldn't even reply, too distracted with knowing she woke up because of you and came to make sure you were okay. The door creaked open and she came to your bedside, her expression worried.

"What happened? Are you okay?" Her hands found a place on your shoulders and you quickly reached up to hug her. The first real comfort you'd felt for some time, it felt so warm and nice. She hugged you in return and rubbed your back, whispering soothing words to you. Mom's were always good with problems.

"... I-I had a n-nightmare." You sniffled in response, not wanting to give any more details, which was obvious to the older woman as she nodded and moved back slightly.

"Come on, let's get you something." She wasn't descriptive about what you'd be doing but you sure as hell didn't want to leave her side right now. You stood up and grabbed her hand as she led you to the kitchen.

Gently she sat you down at the table and got a cup of water. She then turned back to start gathering some items. You watched in confusion, looking away only to down most of the liquid, parching your dry throat. It was then you recognized some things and realized she was making your favorite meal. She really did know how to help.

She kept light conversation while cooking, distracting you from everything that had bothered you before. She hadn't even complained about you spoiling your meal when you got a bowl of ice cream from the freezer to fill your hunger while you waited.

This all felt really nice. You and your mom had been close when you were younger but with her working more and you growing up more, you'd become independent and hadn't spent much time together. Even the times with her comforting you earlier in the summer hadn't felt as intimate and meaningful as this. She really loved and cared for you, and you loved her all the same.

Soon you were both sitting together and eating, though you noted your serving was much bigger than hers. She'd assured you there was some leftovers in the fridge for you to eat when you woke up. She'd likely be gone and at work by then, but you knew that eating it would make you feel as warm and happy as you had in this moment.

When it was nearing seven AM she'd put all the dishes in the sink, saying she'll make your father do them later. It was time for her to get ready for work and she recommended you try to get a few more hours of sleep. You were unsure if you could but nodded anyway. To your surprise once you'd laid down in your bed, exhaustion fell over you and it took mere moments for you to fall asleep once more.

This time, you slept more peacefully.