Witness {Eyeless Jack X Reader} Chapter 11

When you woke up you already felt better than you had the previous night but the feelings still lingered. You were grateful some of your special meal was still left over, it did just the trick to wake you up and give you a mood boost.

You decided you needed something, a distraction, to make you feel even better. So you were finally going to face your fears. You were going to step out of the house for the first time since the original event. No big deal really but you'd been so scared you hadn't even thought about letting yourself be outside. You didn't plan on going anywhere, just into your front yard for some fresh air.

After cleaning up your mess from breakfast you bounced back to your room to put on something other than pajamas, though you would miss the comfort for a bit. Not wanting to spend forever looking you just pulled out a light yellow sundress, not something you'd usually wear but you knew your mom bought it for you for this summer so you might as well wear it once. You paired with some sandals you never worse either. You inspected yourself in the mirror, thinking if you had a big sunhat you'd look like a girl from a movie and laughing a little.

Finally dressed and ready, you mentally prepared yourself for your first baby step to getting over what happened. Opening the door resulted in a burst of refreshing air hitting you. The breeze was still cool, as it didn't get too hot until the afternoon. Slowly you moved forward out onto the porch. Even for someone who wasn't really an outdoorsy person this felt really nice.

Soon enough you were able to trot onto your lawn and after a moment slipped off your sandals. The grass was soft and plush under your feet. You felt nothing but relief and relaxation wash over you as you laughed and pranced around the yard. The neighbors might have thought you'd gone crazy, but none of them were outside at the time so you didn't care.

Time seemed to slip away when you were out there, hours passed without you noticing. You'd played around for awhile, laid in the grass, made a small daisy crown from a stray patch on the side of the house, and took a short nap. Of course not the most responsible thing to do, napping outside while the door is unlocked and nobody else is home, but it was midday so it seemed fine and had turned out okay. Even after waking up though you stayed outside, using your new energy to run around more.

Of course, you had made a few short trips inside for snacks and water but those didn't count in your eyes you spent all day outside. It was relaxing and amazing, totally taking your mind off the previous night. That is, until the evening.

When the sun had started to set you sat on the grass with your knees pulled to your chest to watch it. The colors that covered the sky were beautiful and breathtaking, no matter how many times you saw them. It was amazing and lovely, a great end to a wonderful day. But once the sun had disappeared you were left with an empty dark blue sky, no stars visible that night.

Suddenly the cold seemed to bother you more than before, and every small noise or breeze made you jump. Even after being out all day you still froze up and got anxious in the dark. Standing up slowly you looked around, for a moment you swore you saw shadows move. Half of your thoughts said you were seeing things, the other half hoped it was Jack. And again your fears set in. your stomach churned uncomfortably but you had to stay calm. You were going to see him soon and you had to act if nothing was wrong, you didn't need to bother him with your silly fears... even if he might not be real.

Taking slow steady breaths, you picked up your sandals and headed back into the house, double checking the lock once you'd closed the door. You didn't notice when your hands began to shake as you neared your room. You were so scared and so badly needed reassurance it was real, that everything had been real.

Yet even walking in to see Jack on your bed waiting for you wasn't enough proof. You closed the door quietly and set your sandals down the corner before making your way to the bed as well.

"[Name]?... Where were you?" You weren't sure if that was his way of asking if you were okay or not, but you'd answer the direct question asked as you sat down, crossing your legs and gripping your ankles to try and make them more steady.

"I-I was outside, just in the front yard... It's been awhile since I felt fresh air, and grass... It was nice." You spoke softly, recalling how peaceful it was, how safe you'd felt up until the darkness. You couldn't be out in the dark that was certain but being outside was alright now.

"You've been in here since our first meeting correct? You could gone out sooner, your biggest threat is inside the house after all." His words sent a shiver down your spine. There were other killers yes but you hadn't let that keep you in before, and the one you thought was after you literally came to you no matter what. So your fear had been a little irrational yet it still controlled you. A silly fear... just like the one you've had since last night.

Your control was starting to slip. You could see him, you could hear him, you could smell him, you've touched him. Almost all your senses could verify he was real yet everything in your mind screamed worry and terror that somehow he wasn't. You couldn't keep the thoughts away, your trembling extended from your hands to your entire body slowly.

"You're shaking. You must be cold, humans are so weak to temperature." You watch as he removes his jacket before holding it out to you. Any other night you might have blushed just a bit and accepted nervously, but tonight your hands shook and hesitated as you reached out. It should be real, and you should be able to feel it perfectly. But what if it wasn't? What if the jacket wasn't real? What if Jack wasn't real? His kindness towards you, what if it never existed.

Finally the weight of your fear pushing down on you became too much, tears started sliding down your face, your hands soon covering it. Your quiet sobs filled the room as he sat there for a moment, dropping his jacket.

"What's the matter? Did I do something? I wasn't trying to scare you right now..." There was an unfamiliar tone to his words, regret? Worry? You weren't sure right now. All you knew was your attempt to hide all this had failed so easily. It took a solid minute of crying for you to be able to speak again.

"Th-This is going to sound ridiculous." You hiccuped as you finally lowered your hands to look at him. Tears covered your cheeks, your eyes were puffy and red, you were a mess. "I-I had a nightmare where you l-left... No, d-disappeared, like you n-never existed. I got r-really s-scared that maybe you w-weren't real. Th-That I'd imagined all of this l-like some crazy person-! It's s-stupid I'm s-sorry." Your words became harder to understand the longer you spoke, by the end you were blubbering.

Before you could get another word out he suddenly grabbed your arm. It took a few moments to process that he was holding you against his chest, embracing you. "You're right that's utterly ridiculous. I'm clearly right here, real as you are." He spoke calmly, as if confused but accepting it upset you. You didn't reply, simply burying your face against his shirt. "Don't think for a moment that i'm a hallucination you can get away from, I'm real and I'm always watching you." His attempt at comfort(?) turned into something almost threatening. It assured you that you couldn't have imagined something like this, you wanted a sweet romance to dream about not whatever you had with Jack.

Your little breakdown had made you more tired than expected, distracted by Jack's warmth and scent, you were starting to doze off against him. One of his hands came up to pet your hair, similar to what he'd done when he first came to your room. It felt nicer than before. more comforting.

You hadn't slept this comfortably in weeks.