Witness {Eyeless Jack x Reader} Chapter 13

You broke that promise after only a day.
You woken up the next morning feeling miserable, remembering the events of the previous night. The rest of the day you huddled in your house and used various things to distract yourself. It went by slowly but smoothly. As the sun started to set you felt uneasy, but nothing eventful happened after that. Jack didn't come. His absence was scaring you more than anything. You waited and waited for him, into the hours of the night. But he never came. You're not sure when you fell asleep but it must have been pretty late since it was almost noon by the time you awoke again.
That was when you broke your promise. No word from Jack was terrifying and knowing he seen you with Jake made you worry for your friend's safety. It slipped your mind until now, thanks to a certain killer's sudden sour mood, but he had given you his phone number yesterday. You hadn't planned to use it but this was important, you had to know if he was alive or not.

[Text: Jake] hey uh it's [Y/N]
[Text: [Y/N] oh hey!! What's up?
[Text: Jake] just wanted to say hi

Normally you curse yourself for being so awkward right now but you were too busy smiling with relief and throwing yourself back onto your bed. He was alive. Thank god. You didn't know how long that would last though, you needed to see Jack before he could do anything. The news didn't have any new murder reports, at least from him, so you still had a chance to soothe his anger before anyone had to die because of you.
Filled with excitement and determination, you jumped up and ran to get dressed. Only after pulling clothes from your dresser did you realize that this plan had a major flaw. You didn't know where to find Jack. He always visited you, he could live anywhere in the city and you certainly didn't want to wander around the whole place for several reasons. All you could do is wait for him to come to you.
With your determination crumbled you crawled back into bed. Why did this hurt so much? Were you just that worried about the lives of others? No, you wished you were being that selfless right now. Sure you were worried but that wasn't your main concern. You missed him, you wanted him by your side so badly it made your chest ache. When had you let yourself fall so hard? Become so dependent? You hadn't thought yourself to be someone like that but in the end you were pathetic. A crush on a serial killer, good job [Y/N].
After some time of hiding under your blanket like it would protect you from your own thoughts and feelings, you forced yourself to find food. It was all you could do once you accidentally ended up on the thought track of questioning Jack's existence. Which is why, despite being in your pajamas, you tied the ribbon around your neck once more.
Upon exiting your room you found your mother in the kitchen. Did she have a day off today? You couldn't remember her mentioning it but then again your thoughts had been scrambled lately. At least you weren't alone now.
"Someone slept in." She teased with a smile as she looked up from her phone.
"I didn't sleep well last night, nightmares again." You nearly bit your tongue as you realized how easy it'd become to lie to your own family. It wasn't the worst lie but it came out so quickly. What other bad habits were you starting to get?
"I'm sorry to hear that dear. I hope they come to an end soon, summer is the time to catch up on the sleep you miss during school." She gave a carefree laugh. Sometimes she could be tough on you but her warm smile and caring attitude always made it better. She seemed to understand you more than anyone.
"I hope so too..." Distracting yourself with the contents of the fridge, you tried to push away your thoughts.
"Your father will be home early tonight, we're going to spend some time together in the living room. You shouldn't have any problems staying in your own room right?" She'd gone back to her phone, likely talking with her husband right now.
"That's fine, I have some shows to watch anyway." Another lie, but maybe this one could end up true. Watching a new series might be just what you need to stop thinking about Jack.
Jack...
Saying his name to yourself only opened the floodgate of thoughts again, stopping them was hard.

He's not real.
Your hands flew to your neck, the smooth ribbon remained.
He's going to hurt you.
Breath hitching, you recalled every memory of gentle contact.
He left.
Your body froze, desperately searching for a form of comfort to this new problem.
He's not coming back.
Hot tears welled up in your eyes, seconds away from falling. You felt your chest rise and fall at a quickened pace. It hurt so much, the burning thought you couldn't fight.
"I-I need to go to the bathroom!" You dashed out of the room and headed to the closest bathroom. The door was quickly shut and locked, your body dropping to the ground once you were done.
This is pathetic, you told yourself. Jack was a killer who had ruined your summer and sense of safety, he was horrible and awful and should be turned in to the police. You knew this all but you'd still grown close to him. You hated yourself for liking him even a little bit and got angrier as your feelings grew. You were so stupid.
You were in love.
That's why it hurt so badly to think that he wasn't coming back, that you managed to drive away a killer of all people. How worse could you possibly get?
Silently sobbing into your hands, you went through sheets and sheets of toilet paper to dry your eyes. You almost didn't hear the soft knock.
"Sweetie? Are you alright in there?" Crap, how long had you been crying? Of course your mother got concerned with your sudden disappearance.
"I'm fine mom!" You called back, hoping your voice was steady enough to convince her as you hurriedly wiped the rest of your tears and snot off your face.
Discarding the used tissue, you flushed the toilet as an alibi for what you were doing. As you ran the faucet to mimic washing your hands you took a few breaths to relax. Then you opened the door to see your concerned mother just about to knock again.
"See? I'm really alright." You forced a smile and gave her a quick hug, not giving a chance for her to respond as you went back to your room. You hoped she'd believe you enough to give you some space.

She had. You'd been left alone for the majority of the day, and remained in your room while you tried to sort out your emotions. In the end you hadn't realized how little you ate all day until your mom called the word dinner and you felt all hunger come in at once.
Your dad had arrived just before dinner started, it was the first time all summer you'd had a meal as a family. It felt nice. As usual your mother kept the mood light and conversation fun. Your father seemed tired but spoke up sometimes. Knowing they wanted alone time, you did too, you hurriedly ate your food so you could leave.
"There was hardly any business today, everyone at work was busy talking about the cities serial killers. I don't know why everyone is so fascinated with them." At some point when you zoned out your mother had asked how work was, leading into your father bringing up a topic that made you sick.
"Now darling, it's no fascination just fear. We're all quite scared by the amount of dangerous people here. Especially those who's come in contact with them." You saw the side glance your mother gave you, the action that shut your father up.
You'd come in a lot more contact with that killer than either of them knew, or would ever know. You'd rather drop dead then tell them all about your close relationship with Jack.
"I'm done. I'm going back to my room now." You practically jumped up from your seat and quickly set the dishes in the sink before leaving the kitchen. You took the chance to pause and look back. "Have fun tonight guys, you deserve some time together!" A sweet smile to reassure them you're fine. You'd hate if their stay in date night was ruined by worry over you.

You hesitate before going into your room, holding your breath. So many time had you opened this door to see Jack and you could only hope for the same sight again. But as expected it was just an empty room. One that filled you with sadness.
You didn't have the energy to do much for the rest of the night, you didn't even go on your laptop. It was only an hour after dinner when you ended up dozing off, accepting the warmth of sleep.

When you awoke it was with a scream. Sweat dripped down your forehead as you breathed heavily. Guess your nightmares weren't completely gone after all. Bringing a hand up to wipe some sweat away you instead felt more liquid touch yourself. Pulling your hands up to your face to inspect them you screamed in shock again.
Blood.
Your hands were coated in blood. It was all over your bedspread too. A trail was on the floor, leading to your open door that you'd sworn was closed when you fell asleep. Your breath hitched, immediately wanting to cover your nose once the iron scent hit, but you stopped yourself in time. You needed to clean your hands, and figure out what happened.
Staying in bed and ignoring it seemed like a good idea. Maybe it was all a dream? Another nightmare? But the scent was repulsive and you were just praying that your parents had some kind of answers. If they were alive.
No, you shook your head a little. They had to be alive, no killer would just kill them and leave you here covered in blood without injury. Well... Jack might. You wanted to trust he didn't, but the thought of him doing this made you shiver.
With uneasy determination you climbed out of your blood soaked bed and stepped onto the floor, careful to avoid the blood. You wanted to call for your parents, but fear and nausea kept your mouth closed. If you tried to speak you may just break down and cry. Blood itself wasn't much problem for you anymore, but this much and in your own home without explanation was enough to drive you mad with panic.
Your open door easily opened more with a little push. It was dark, but you could see something on the ground. Without thinking you bent down to pick it up with both hands. A smooth wood handle with an almost square shaped blade on the end. An ax. The end was coated with the same sickening substance as your hands were.
For the third time you scream, stepping back as you dropped the weapon. If you were fine, and there was all this blood plus a weapon... Either this was a cruel prank or...
You cast a glance down the hall where your parents bedroom was. The dark trail led right there, the door wide open. Taking a deep breath you slowly head down the hall, your entire body starting to shake with each step.
You don't even get inside the room before snapping. You can smell all the blood, you can see the shadows of mangled corpses. Hot tears flow from your eyes as you fall to your knees, not caring as you land on the trail of your parents blood.
"M-Mom!" You choke out, sobbing harder. She'd been so kind and supportive. She helped you stay together during these rough times, and now she was gone. You'd never felt so alone. "D-Dad..." You start to cough, choking on your own sobs. He wasn't here often, and he could be insensitive, but when you really needed him he was there. Not as often as your mother though.
You couldn't bring yourself to look any longer, you stumbled to your feet and ran down the hall to your room, immediately filling it with light and scrambling for your phone. The police, you had to call the police.
9
They would help, they had before. When you first met Jack. Your body tenses up at the memory of him. They helped after Jeffrey's attack. Though Jack had protected you then.
1
Jack couldn't have done this right? He wasn't that bad, and he cared for you. Didn't he? Or was it all in your head? Was he really just a heartless killer who wants his pathetic little toy to suffer?
Your finger hovers over the 1 button, ready to complete the number and make your report. Just as you prepare yourself to press it, a loud thud catches your attention. Whipping around quickly you see Jack, on the floor having entered through the window in a hurry.
"[Y/N]!" He calls out, voice seeming to be surprised as he looked at you.
"J-Jack!" Your phone falls without notice, a waterfall of tears falling again. "I-I didn't do this... M-My parents are... P-Please tell me you..."
"They're dead correct? I didn't do this, I was killing a young couple in the park." Normally his words would disgust you, but that calm brutal honesty made you believe him.
"I-I don't know what to d-do. H-Help." You're certain you look pathetic right now, crying and covered in blood while begging for help from a serial killer.
Jack is silent, looking over you, the room, the ax in the doorway and thinking about you said surely. When he speaks finally, you collapse again. "Don't call the police. You're being framed." He gestures to the purposefully placed blood on you and glances to the ax. "You touched it didn't you?" He only sighs when you nod then gently pulls you up and close to him. A real embrace, it's surprising and almost sweet how he tries to comfort you.
"Wh-What do I do?" Your voice is still shaking as you cling to him, knowing he won't mind the blood.
"First, wash yourself and change, Quickly. Then come back and pack one bag of necessities." You open your mouth to question him. "I've been doing this for years [Y/N], it's the only way to avoid criminal punishment, now do as I say." For a moment, it almost seems like he smirked as he watched you run off to do as he said.

It's only thirty minutes later when you're scrambling to shove the last few things in your bag. You'd showed under burning hot water very fast, then threw on the closest clothes you could find. Since then you'd shoved necessities, more clothes and hygiene products and such, into a single bag. It was nearly bursting at the seems but you managed to close it.
"Done?" Jack held out his hand to take the bag from you, which you handed over easily. You were too tired and panicked to question him anymore. Not even as he helped you climb out your window, which was a bit difficult since you'd never done it.
The feeling of sharp cold air caught you off guard, your house had been pretty warm in contrast. Adjusting for a moment, you looked up to the man next to you.
"For now, you'll come live with me to keep you safe." Remember back when you'd laugh at being safe with a killer, well now you really trusted those words and simply nodded. "I'm going to try to keep the police off your trail, head to the forest." He pointed down the street, the opposite direction from where you'd always gone to get to the heart of the town. You were hesitant to leave his side but started walking away.
A sudden noise, a car speeding by, jolted your nerves and you took off in a run. You weren't the fastest runner or the most athletic, I mean you'd stayed inside for almost a month straight, but your fear of being blamed for this horrible crime fueled you. Once again you started crying. Your parents were dead, this was too real to be a dream. You would never see them again. You'd never hear them or hug them or have them when you were sad. You had to run away from your real life, you didn't know if a supposed killer could even come out of hiding ever, Your life turned upside down in one horrible night.
By the time you got to the edge of the forest you were sobbing and heaving so hard you had to sit down. Your coat, the biggest and warmest one you had, was pulled tighter around you as he moved up against a tree. After a few minutes of silence and calming down, you started to doze off. All the stress, fear, and other emotions that had weighed you down tonight were dragging you into the land of sleep.

"[Y/N]." A call of your name and a small shake was all it took to awake you from your light slumber. Jack was knelt in front of you, looking no different than earlier. You only spent a moment wondering what he'd done and how long it'd been before standing up and holding onto his arm while you finished waking up. Wordlessly he began to lead you deep into the forest.
At first there was a few trees, the ground was completely green with grass. But as you went farther in you felt swallowed by tall twisted trees. The fresh grass had long ended, now replaced by dirt trails and patches of sun deprived greens. Animal sounds, scurrying squirrels and hooting owls, were all around and caught you off guard every now and then.
"We're here." Jack had slowed his pace in front of a thick patch of trees, causing only confusion.
"Where?" You'd found your voice again, not being able to accept his statement. You couldn't be living outside right? If it came down to it you could handle it but it was hard to imagine he'd just lived outside but never seemed dirty. He said nothing and only pulled you through the trees into what seemed to be a clearing.
Trees went all the way up to the main event, reaching even higher and making you wonder if this place was completely hidden from others, surely it must be. Though it'd hard to hold that thought with what you're staring at. Despite the fact that it's quite old with peeling paint and rotting porch wood, it looks to be even bigger than your small home in size. You'd never pictured Jack of all people living in something like this, as creepy looking as it was. But it's impossible to deny that what you're staring at, deep in the woods under the dark sky, was--

"A mansion?"