Chapter 3

Days went past like clockwork. Leighla worked her ass off day after day, night after night, trying to provide for her family as best she could. Because it was getting towards the end of summer, more and more tourists were coming to the island where they lived, so Leighla relied on the boys to do a little more to help her with the girls and the house. Which they did, Leighla was thankful for this.

"Hey, mom?" Elijah walked into the living room where his mother was sitting.

"Yeah, babe?"

"My school said we needed to do a project on our family, but we gotta do both sides of the family, but i don't know my dad's side of the family. I don't know who my dad is."

"Want me to talk to your teacher?"

"No, not just yet, could you help me with your side first?"

"Sure, baby. Go up to the attic, there's a box in it called 'Schultz Family' bring that down, i'll help you when you do."

"Sure momma."

Elijah went upstairs to the attic after going up the two flights of stairs and crawling through to the warm, sunset lit area, where dusty boxes and bags were kept. He scooted over towards the box his mother wanted him to get, however a different box cought his attention.

'Memories of the Past'

Frowning, he crawled over towards the box and lifted the lid, delicately placing the thing on the ground, he looked inside and found a picture of a little girl with curly black hair, big blue eyes, sitting Indian style with a boy who looked a tiny bit older with dark hair and dark eyes, cheesy grins on both of their faces, teeth exposed, eyes squinted. She was dressed as a witch, whilst he was dressed in all black with crowe style make up. He flipped the picture around, there, written on the back, was a few words.

Leighla and Colby

First Halloween together.

It's my mom he thought, before placing the picture down. He saw similar ones of his mother and the mysterious Colby  getting older and older and older, until he found some that showed them kissing.

Mom's ex boyfriend? Teenage love? Elijah questioned to himself, before seeing one with Colby down on one knee. His blue-green eyes widened. Mom's ex-fiancee?. That thought quickly changed into Mom's ex husband?  when the next picture he found was of his mother wearing a gorgeous white dress, Colby in a all black suit. He frowned. She never told us she was married before. His eyes widened when he saw picture after picture of Colby holding his mothers stomach as it grew and grew and grew in every picture, almost like a flip book of time. He finished the little picture series when he saw his mother holding a newborn baby, Colby next to her. His eyes were impossibly wide, as he flipped the baby picture around to see the writing on the back of it.

Aiden L J Lopez. Born December 18. 18 inches long. Seven pounds, six ounces.

Oh. My. God. Is Colby Aiden's dad? Is Colby's last name Lopez?! He tried finding Colby's last name on any of the pictures he'd found, before coming up short. Quickly going into the box, he found none with Colby's name on it, before a silent scream shot through his whole body, seeing another pregnancy series, this time ending with his name.

Elijah D L Lopez. Born August 29. 16 inches long. Six pounds, eight ounces.

His scream got louder and louder in his own head as his hands trembled and heart started to beat at the rate of what felt like noughts. He felt like he was going to throw up.

Why didn't you tell us, mom?

"Eli, what are you doing?"

"Aiden! Come up here, quick!" He heard his elder brother coming and beckoned him up to the attic.