Chapter 2

Chapter 2

I walked through the dimly lit halls of Grimmauld Place, the searing tea in my hands almost too hot to carry. The door was slightly ajar when I approached, so I nudged it gently open. I was met with the sight of Grace curled up in an old, plush arm chair, her legs drawn to her chest and her gaze lost out the window, as it had been many times over the last few days since the attack.

"Grace" I murmured softly, but you'd think I'd have shouted it in her ear the way she almost jumped out of her skin. "Sorry Gracey, I just bought you some tea" I explained, setting down the hot mug next to her. She smiled a small, barely there smile.

"Thank you, sorry, I was just-" but she didn't finish her sentence, just shook her head slightly.

"It's okay, I understand" I assured her, sitting down in the armchair across from her. She'd been a ball of anxiety since we apparated to the front doorsteps of Grimmauld place. She woke just enough to witness the chaos that ensued once we passed the threshold. Kreacher called Dobby, who urgently retrieved Mrs Weasley, who called for Kingsley, Tonks and Remus.

Roze, Ari and I were questioned about what, who and when while Grace was cared for by Mrs Weasley in the corner. There were people in and out of Grimmauld place like bee's in a hive for the next few hours, and when Grace was finally able to rest, she tossed and turned like no other.

Her lively green eyes had slowly dulled in only two days, and she looked more frightened than I'd ever seen her. Her eyes found mine, and her lips tightened. "Char, do you remember how I spent last summer with my Aunt in Australia?" she asked carefully. I nodded. "She offered for me to come live with her, in Australia. This was before that death eater-" she paused, a shudder running through her body. "And I wasn't going to, England is my home, but after everything that's happened and my mother working all the time at the ministry... I just, maybe it's a good idea for me to get away from all this" she finished slowly, waving her hand at the window, at the dark, ominous clouds that lingered outside.

"Grace-"

"No, but Charlotte, I'm so sorry" she interrupted, and I could see her eyes glassing over, her cheeks tinting pink. "I don't want to leave you alone in this because I know you can't just get away, and I love you, you're one of my closest friends. You're so much stronger than I am though, you can do this" she breathed, staring deeply into my eyes. "I can't" she whispered with a tremble of her bottom lip.

"Hey, it's okay" I hushed, taking her hand in mine. "Don't you dare be sorry. I want you to be safe. To feel safe. And if you can't feel that here, I would never hold it against you for finding somewhere that does make you feel safer" I breathed, squeezing her hand tightly. "Ryan and Damien are already in Norway-"

"Doing what they can against You-Know-Who. That's not the same as running away" she sighed, shaking her head.

I pulled myself off the arm chair and knelt in front of her, taking both of her hands and squeezing them tightly.

"You are not running away. I want more than anything for you, and everyone else, to be safe" I told her, running my thumb over the soft skin of her hands. "And for you, that's not here. And you're Aunt needs you too. From everything I've heard about Josie, she could use another wand in the house" I joked, and thankfully Grace smiled slightly.

"I just feel so bad for leaving you" she whispered, shaking her head, a small piece of her fringe falling over her eyes.

"I am not alone though, I have Fred and George, Roze, Ari and Cameron. I've got Harry, Ron, Hermione, the order. I am not alone, so don't you feel bad. You're not leaving me, because I will see you again" I promised.