Chapter 8

Chapter 8

I stared at the page before me, absolutely mystified by all that I had learned from one book. Sure, the book was over a thousand pages long and pages longer and wider than the width of both my hands twice over, but the information about these schools was abundant. Almost three weeks had passed since the incident of the library, or maybe four? It was getting harder to keep up with the date. And all we'd done was stare at this book, taking turns to scan and read the pages and endless amounts of words.

"Oh my god" I whispered, my eyes wide as I looked at the class of 1966 from The Durmstrang Institute. A fuzzy, old picture was placed there, a photo of a man that could only be just 17. I'd only ever met my Uncle Adam a hand full of times before my parents died, and then there was the one time he came to Grimmauld place in his disheveled state, but I had no doubt the man in this picture was him. Confirmed by the writing below, 'Adam Hale'.

"Whoa, your uncle went to Durmstrang?" I heard Cam ask over my shoulder. I looked at him and nodded numbly.

"I guess so. But my father went to Hogwarts, I don't understand why they would have gone to separate schools" I sighed, looking back to the book.

"Well, there's one way to find out" piped up Roze, looking at me out of the corner of her eye as she flipped through the book on the schools.

"How are we supposed to find it? It's Durmstrang, no one knows where it is" Cameron pointed out.

Roze rolled her eyes and pointed to a page. "This gives us the roundabout location. All we have to do is go somewhere near the lake, and we'll figure it out from there" she shrugged like it was that easy.

"Figure it out from there? Sure, brilliant, that'll work. We'll just show up in a random place in northern Slovakia and hope for the best" Cam agreed sarcastically, rolling his eyes and began pacing.

I sighed, staring down at the open page on the Durmstrang Institute. Unless invited, the exact location of the school was unknown, even in this expansive book that held almost all other information needed to know.

"Well, it's not a totally random place..." I began hesitantly, looking to Cam. His eyes met mine with caution. "It's really quite a specific random place. Next to an expansive lake, next to the Orava forest"

"Char, we already looked that up. The forest surrounds the lake for hundreds of kilometers. That's still totally random" Cam pointed out incredulously.

"It might just be the best we're going to get. The book gives us clues to find the school once there, we'll find it" Roze nodded, looking back to the book.

"Pointers that may or may not have worked for others are not clues, Roze".

"But what else have we got to go on? It's been weeks, Cam. This is as close to something real as we've gotten. A real location we know Adam's been" Roze looked at Cam with pleading eyes. "We have to follow this through"

*^*^*^*^*^*^*

"Whose stupid idea was this?" Roze grumped, collapsing against one of the thousands of trees that surrounded us. She was covered in dirt and grime, not much unlike Cam or myself.

It had to of been weeks of wandering this forest, feeling like we were going nowhere but endlessly somewhere. My sanity was on edge, the protective enchantments mentioned in the book were definitely confusing the mind, our minds.

The lake seemed as wide as the ocean, never able to see land on the other side, only the crystal blue horizon. As we learned the first day we apparated to this place, never go in the water. It a changes your perception of time and thanks to Cameron's woodland skill, what we thought was a half an hour swim was in fact days.