Chapter 5

ELPHABA:

I am very satisfied with my new activities, and glad I have found new ways to spend my time. Luckily, Karina and I have put our quarrel behind, so I share what enchantments and knowledge I know of with all our friends, and they find it completely fascinating.

Today however, Karina and the girls had different plans.

The minute they walked through the door they grabbed my hand and declared we were all going into town.

"You need new clothes, Elphaba," Karina announced. I certainly didn't; I had plenty of dresses, skirts, blouses, and stockings and boots.

"Colorful clothes," she added.

"Oh no," I protested. "I've clashed with everything I've tried before. No thanks."

"Well, maybe you just haven't tried the right ones," said Violet smiling.

"I've seen lots of clothes in the shop that you'd be perfect for," Abigail added. "Could you at least come and try them on?"

I sighed. They weren't going to give up. "Alright," I agreed. "But I'm probably not going to buy anything."

...

I proved myself wrong. The girls were right; I had overlooked the entire possibility of varying my wardrobe based on opinions of those from my past. The moment I saw myself in the mirror, I was amazed at how much the colors actually flattered my skin tone.

I ended up buying a dark purple housedress, a red blouse, and even some beautiful fabrics to make my own clothes with myself. The girls and I have made plans for our sewing circle to make garments during our next meetings.

There are wonderful friends to help me open up possibilities for my new life here. I am the luckiest woman in the world.

...

FIYERO:

When I arrive home ragged and tired from my day's work, my eyes light up at the sight of a hot meal on the table and my lovely Elphaba patiently awaiting me. She looks different; her clothes! She has on a red blouse with her dark skirt instead of the black one she usually wears.

"Do you like it?" she inquires as she stands to greet me. "I have other new things too, you know."

She looks absolutely wonderful; I had always wondered what she would look like in colors. Her friends had a hand in this, no doubt.

We sit at the table and begin our supper. "I guess we've both had quite a productive last few weeks," I say casually.

"That's true," Elphaba agrees. She seems unphased, but I can sense she feels a bit lonely. I work so late sometimes now that I come home and she is already in bed sound asleep. We used to have so much time to spend together, but now...

Wait a moment. "Fae, I just thought of something!"

She looks at me, a puzzled look on her face.

"Why don't I take the day off tomorrow?" I suggest. "We can have the whole day to ourselves, just the two of us."

"Oh, Yero," she smiled. "That sounds wonderful!" She wraps her arms around me.

It's settled; tomorrow will be for just the two of us.