Chapter 10

ELPHABA:

Over the next few weeks, the pregnancy progresses more smoothly. My overactive senses go back to normal and I am able to stomach the proper meals I need.

My friends have been visiting our home more often than vice versa; Karina has said it is all in the good nature to let me relax and take care of myself and the baby. I have very much appreciated it.

Everyone has been putting together different odds and ends to help us prepare for the baby's arrival. My friends have begun doing side projects with our sewing group, making tiny clothes and a sweet little quilt and knitting socks and blankets and hats. They are just adorable and absolutely perfect!

I watch my changing figure as the days go by. My belly has started to distend and I am always running my hand along it, hoping to feel some sort of movement. So far, nothing has happened, which Leona says is normal since I am still fairly early on.

That all soon changes.

One evening I am sitting by the fireplace, reading while Fiyero is at the kitchen table with some small woodwork her has brought home. I can't seem to figure out what it is; there are several pieces all in various shapes and sizes. We'll just have to wait and see when it is done.

Just as I am turning to the next page of my book, a sudden unnatural feeling leaps from my stomach. My hand goes to it, and it happens again. A faint but strong flutter beneath my palm- my baby is moving.

"Fiyero!" I exclaim. He looks up at me from his work. "What's wrong?" "Nothing, just come here!"

He hurries over and crouches next to me. "Feel this," I smile, and I places his hand where mine was. His face freezes as another tiny flutter pokes beneath the skin of my abdomen. A smile spreads across his lips and he looks up at me, his eyes shining.

"That's our baby," he murmurs. I nod and press my forehead to his, sighing contently. It's all starting to become real...