Chapter 13

FIYERO:

It is late, almost half past midnight. I am climbing into bed with Elphaba, still in her unconsciousness. I kiss her gently and rest my head gently next to her shoulder as I fall asleep.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!"

I pound on the door, fear and rage burning inside me.

"Elphaba!"

Her screams only get louder and more agonizing until suddenly they stop.

The door unlocks, and Leona stands there her dress stained with blood. My Fae's blood.

"Fiyero," her face is solemn. "I'm so sorry..."

No! No, no, no!

I shove her away and rush to the bed, where my wife's body lies motionless. Her green skin is ashen, blood soaking the sheets around her lower half.

She's gone.

I turn to Leona. "The baby?"

She is silent.

I collapse, broken inside.

Not this! Anything but this! Why? Why both of them?!

"NOOOOOOO!"

My eyes fly open and I shoot upright.

A dream...it was just a dream. I look over to my side and see Elphaba, still unconscious but still breathing.

Shaken, I slip my arms around her and rest my head close to her chest. Knowing her heart is still beating I can put that nightmare behind.

Elphaba is strong. She will come out of this, and she will deliver our child and LIVE.

...

I feel something on my head as I start to wake up the next morning. A hand.

I look up and see Elphaba stir, a small moan escaping her lips.

"Fae?" Come on. Wake up, please wake up.

Her eyes slowly open and she looks at me, smiling weakly. "Hi."

"You're back!" I kiss her forehead, tears brimming my eyes. "Oh, thank Oz you're back!"