Chapter 11 - A series of unexpected events

"Anything with boobs can get a frat boy to do anything."

~ Felicity Smoak (Overwatch)

Celeste Moctezuma found herself kissing Ross Gustin

It wasn't as outrageous and insane as it seemed.

(Okay, maybe it was even more outrageous and insane than it seemed.)

It's not like Celeste had meant to end up kissing him, it just sort of happened. A lot of things like that happened to people, right? It's not like she had wanted him to kiss her at all, right?

She should probably back up a bit to make more sense.

You see, it was just another study session. A simple study date – no! Session! (God, she hated herself).

Ross's parents had started yelling downstairs, as they regularly did whenever Celeste was there. Angie was over at a friend's house for a sleepover, so Ross's only worry was turning up the radio and going on like everything was normal. He talked about World War 1 as if it was the most pertinent thing to ever be talked about. Like it was his only lifeline.

But, this time Celeste wasn't going to let it go.

Maybe it was because of the events earlier in the day, but this time Celeste wasn't going to passively pretend to care about why some idiots decided to start a pointless war by killing the Archduke of some unimportant country.

When she got home from school, she immediately wanted to go out and punch something or someone. The afternoon before she had blown off hanging out with Ross to go rob a jewelry store, which turned out to be a bust anyways because that new villain, Mischief, stole her money and humiliated her in front of the member of a gang. Not to mention it made her feel very confused about where she stood with Ross, as she blew him off for something that turned out to be nothing but losing.

The problem she came to throughout the day after her failed robbery was that she was either upset just because of Mischief, or she was upset also because she could've had a marvelous time with Ross instead.

And the problem with choosing that meant deciding where her heart stood when it came to the nerdy yet amazingly cool kid who helped her ace history class was that she didn't want to admit she felt anything other than mutual passive respect for him. If she was sad on missing out on study-free alone time with Ross, did that mean she liked him in that stupid romantic comedy type of way? Did that mean she was falling for Ross?

Of course, there was no way in Celeste's troubled mind that she could've been upset at the prospect of losing alone time with someone only considered as a friend, because by the end of the day her mind was already too frazzled to accept anything other than she may be falling for Ross, and it was quite terrifying.

Bad guys don't fall in love. Bad guys rip apart happy couples and rain on parades. Bad guys don't go frolicking in the park with hot boys in hipster glasses.

(Did she just call him hot?)

(What was wrong with her?)

Anyone who knew Celeste (and Celeste could probably tell you that the number of people who actually knew her was smaller than the number of time Wild Fire had ever actually gotten close to throwing her in prison) knew that she was acting very strange indeed. She was never usually this jumpy and nervous, she was always calm and stoic. She was never this absent-minded, she was always heard-headed and sharp.

Celeste must've been going mad, it was the only explanation.

And, so, when the school day came to an end and Ross walked up to her again, face hopeful and innocent, Celeste started to have a heart attack. She was definitely not ready to face her feelings, and she had tried to avoid them by ignoring him all day. It turned out Ross was a lot more persistent than she gave him credit for.