Chapter 21 - A Pity Party

"Got beat up by a steel plated sociopath. Good times."

~ Barry Allen (The Flash)

Trevor Rossi stood at the entrance to his overhanging tower in downtown Kingdom City as the limos pulled up to the curb. Guest after guest dressed in their very best were greeted by him at the door. He saw the mayor and her wife, the Schow Corporation chairman and CEO with his wife, the Police Captain and her husband, and many other influential people in the city pass him by, happy to shake the hand of the Rossi Corp CEO. By the end of the night Rossi Corp would make many beneficial connections.

No one knew that the smile he was putting on for show was masking the recent pain inside his chest. No one knew how much Trevor Rossi would be trying to avoid Lacey Carlton that night.

Another limo pulled up, this time with two teenagers getting out. The boy was in a crisp suit with light brown hair effortlessly styled to look messy but nice. The girl on his arm was wearing a deep red dress with dark hair tied back in a loose bun. Her dark skin juxtaposed to her partner's lighter shade. She seemed vaguely familiar, but so was everyone who came to these events.

"And who may this be?" Trevor asked as the young couple came up to him. No doubt they were the children of some of the patrons tonight, taking their own car to avoid hanging around their parents. Trever remembered those days.

The boy handed him their tickets, "Ross Gustin and Raven Schmitz at your service."

"Schmitz as in the publishing house?" Trevor asked the girl, now assuming the boy was her date. She was the one whose parents would be donating the money today.

"Oh, yes. My parents were very grateful to be invited today. They've always wanted to come to these events you host," she replied ever so gracefully.

They walked right by Trevor as the next couple walked up to him. The boy let out a deep breath once they were in the doors safely. "Do you think he recognized you?"

Mera Deauxma shook her head. "This time I'm caked in makeup with my hair actually up for once. Besides, he met me for like a millisecond at a coffee shop. Would you have rather had Taylor to hang out with tonight?"

Ross laughed, the first smile to grace his face since he stumbled in to headquarters with his crush's unconscious body in his arms.

"She probably would've beat up Trevor before we got in the door."

"Hey," a voice came in over their ears, "I can hear you perfectly fine on my end."

Mera stopped smiling at the sound of Taylor's voice.

"Now, do you both remember where you have to go?" Ian Thompson's voice floated over their ears, "We can't afford any mistakes."

"Yes, they know," Taylor replied, "it's not like you didn't tell them fifty times before letting them go out to the Charity Ball. They could probably recite your exact instructions from memory three times fast."

Ian mumbled something incomprehensible through the mics.

The party was in full swing, which meant the aristocrats were all joyfully drinking champagne and making conversation with other powerhouses to the background of a jazz band. They were only dealing with each other so that they could use each other later on for connections, it was how the business world worked.

Mera and Ross were hanging out by the bar, not drinking anything but water and club soda, when Trevor Rossi took the stage. Now was their chance to squeeze through the breaks in security while everyone was distracted by the host of the party.