Chapter 19 - Frosty banter

"The media likes to portray me as a senseless killer. I would point out that I am a very sensible killer."

~ Frank Castle (The Punisher)

All Celeste could register was her pounding head. It beat with her heart, like something foreign was trying to fight its way out of her skull. Pressure was also pressing against her tear ducts, like she had cried the ocean and was drained dry. But Arctic Frost didn't cry.

As she opened her eyes, everything came rushing back. The harsh light of the room she was in only made her feel more like it had all been a dream. Maybe this was heaven after her arch enemy finally decided to take her out.

(More likely hell)

But, it wasn't heaven. Unless heaven was full of artificial flickering electric lights and pulsing blue bars. Celeste felt safe to assume that the blue was Merlonium running through the bars. Any closer to them and she would be in even more pain. At least the room was spacious enough for her to have a pain-free, but still powerless zone.

The bed she was sitting on was stiff, unslept in previously. The white walls were stark and clean inside her cell, though Celeste noted scorch marks on other portions of the wall that weren't enclosed in her prison. The dark monitors on the walls and the blackened training dummies across from her only confirmed the notion that she was being held in Wild Fire's headquarters. Or, as she should probably call him from now on, Ross Gustin.

"Hello?"

There was a girl in silver and black by the monitors, sitting in a twisting chair. She turned at the sound of Celeste's voice.

"Oh, thank god you're awake. I didn't want to be the one to tell poor little Wild Fire that his crush died in her sleep. Even if you are his greatest enemy, he probably still has feelings for you."

Celeste shook her head, ears stuffed and eyes still a bit blurry. "Wild Fire has feelings for no one."

Her voice was raw and scratchy. Had she really let so much go last night?

Silver Streak laughed. "Oh, you're funny. That's the problem with all those superheroes, they feel way too much. Even Momentum had too much enthusiasm and he's only just started. Though, frankly, his mom was also just admitted to the hospital, so his attitude might still change." She took a breath and looked towards Celeste, "Anyways, at least you're both still alive. If I found out my boyfriend was a super villain, he wouldn't be my boyfriend for much longer because he'd be six feet under."

"We weren't dating," Celeste argued, putting a hand to her still aching head. "And aren't you a superhero too?"

"Not really." The hero shrugged and swiveled in her chair. "I consider myself more of a vigilante, less flamboyant. No multicolored spandex and memorable catchphrases for me."

"Your hair is silver though."

"That's more to hide my real hair style. We girls have it a lot harder when it comes to hiding our identities with our hair, especially the ethnic ones. If I get braids, or extensions, or I straighten it at the same time Silver Streak does, some baddies may start to notice."

"So, what?" Celeste scoffed. "Silver was just the first wig on the rack you saw?"

"Precisely."

This was not how Celeste had imagined her first meeting with Silver Streak to go. At least she wasn't overly preppy like Sonic of Empire City. She was realistic and straight to the point.