dani

"So, that's that. Sometimes, I just feel like I can't take it at home anymore. That's why I asked you to come, sort of escape with me the other evening. And I do know that my parents really love me and care about me. But sometimes, especially my dad, I feel like, doesn't really let me do all that I want. I feel like he doesn't let me do much at all in the first place," Dani explained to Ethan as they sat on top of the hill that overlooked the football field that afternoon after school. "I don't know."

"I think he's just protective of you. He regrets exposing you to all of that stuff years ago, even if it was completely by accident. He blames himself. And he's not willing to let you, Sadie or your brother get hurt ever again," Ethan responded, lifting a curious eyebrow and turning his head to meet eyes with Dani. "That's just my opinion. I mean, I don't live at your house to witness everything that's going on or anything, but...."

"Right," Dani agreed, nodding slowly and looking down at the football field and watching the players practice. She gazed at Ethan again, following his green eyes as she spoke. "Did you like my family when you came over?"

"Yeah, I like them. They're nice. Your parents are really friendly, too."

Dani was glad to hear him say that when he did. Before, it had seemed like he wasn't a fan, maybe a little annoyed with them, even, and ever since Monday night it had been making her worried, and nervous. But now, looking back, she knew that before it was just her being paranoid, and it was all in her head. "Cool. I mean, that's great."

"Yeah, they're cool. Easy to get along with." He picked at the grass between them. "And that thing you said about your dad earlier? How you said you feel like he's strict and doesn't let you do stuff?" He shook his head. "Don't worry about it. Believe it or not, it's actually a good thing, Trust me. It's just something called tough love."

Dani smiled. "Yeah, I guess you're right. In fact, he is a pretty tough guy to begin with."

"Yeah. You can pretty much just tell by looking at him."

They both laughed together, Dani admiring Ethan's humor, and how real and normal he was around her. He smiled at her, and her heart almost melted completely. When he moved closer, propping his arm in the grass behind her, she could smell his clean scent, one that sort of felt like he had just gotten out of the shower. Her heart was racing so fast, she felt like she could've fainted right there only out of excitement. She felt so happy around him, and only him.

"I don't just like your family, though. You know that, right?"

Dani smiled. "What do you mean?"

Ethan scooted closer, so that the skin on his arm was pressed up against hers, and she could pick out every little beautiful detail of his profile. He lifted one of his hands, wrapping it around the back of her neck, sending a warm chill down her spine. "I like you, too." He laughed a little, cocking his head to the side slightly. "Well, I mean.... if you couldn't already tell."

"Yeah," she breathed with a soft simper, reaching down and holding his hand that was tangled in the grass in hers. "I feel the same way."

"Hm. Ironic," he commented, smiling, gazing at her. "Your eyes are beautiful."

Instantly she felt the tips of her ears and face grow hot, and she knew she was blushing like crazy. "Tha - thanks. Thank you. Yours are too. I've, like, always thought that. I mean, I'm not a creep, though, like.... well, I mean --"

He just laughed softly, only saying, "Everything about you is just so adorable," before he met his mouth with hers, his lips sweet and tasting like something sugary. Dani leaned all her weight against him, feeling comfortable in his strong arms. For a first kiss, this was amazing. Especially since this was Dani's first ever. His lips were soft and smooth, silky even.

At one point during their kiss, Dani opened her eyes to see what Ethan's expression was, and when she did, it was like he knew she was looking at him. He opened his eyes, his hazel irises meeting her blue ones. They didn't stop kissing, just sort of stopped moving their lips, but they stayed connected that way. Ethan sort of even had a playful smirk across his mouth, she could see it in his eyes and feel it on his lips, as he went back to kiss her again.

His eyes were closed once more, his expression gentle but still seeming concentrated all the same. She smiled the slightest bit again, also, as she too shut her eyes, moving her palm to rest against his chest, as it slowly dragged down the fabric of his shirt to his stomach, where she blushed again owing to the fact that she was able to feel his abdominal muscles there.

If Andy knew what she was doing at the moment, he would not be having it.

Whatever, Dani thought, everyone makes out with their favorite guy or girl at some point in their life.

She was absolutely sure her father was guilty of it as well, times a thousand or so.

The kiss ended perfectly. Not too soon, it wasn't too long, and it definitely didn't end awkwardly or suddenly.

It was perfect.

And she was undeniably, for sure, absolutely, completely, and without a doubt in love with him. She had fallen for him, hard. And she knew he felt the same. <3