andy

^dani's tattoo of ethan over her heart (just him, a little bit of the background and the edges round and faded)

He couldn't -- well -- almost couldn't believe Dani had gone behind his and Scout's backs to secretly go get a tattoo without their permission.

Andy had always known his older twin daughter to be the rebellious out of the two, but aside from that secret party she and Dennis had thrown that one time, she hadn't done anything like this before.

So he'd figured it out, finally able to get it out of Dani herself that 'PopPop' (Andy's dad) had signed the form saying she had permission since she was under eighteen. After Andy found that out, he called his dad himself asking why he'd done this whiteout consulting he or Scout first, and Chris answered that when he asked Dani the same question, she told him they did say yes, and just that it was the most convenient to get him to sign it, since he was the closest one around.

Which, obviously, was a lie.

And, when it was all said and done, Dani got what she deserved from both Scout and Andy -- a firm talking-to, also explaining that it was a lesson for next time, and making sure that she fully understood -- and her laptop got taken away. Scout said that even though what she did was not acceptable without permission, she still deserved the right to communicate with Ethan.

And quite honestly, Andy agreed.

*

Later, when Andy walked back downstairs to get a cigarette from where the pack laid on the counter in the kitchen, he first met eyes with Scout, who he could tell when she smiled at him was forcing it. She was in mild pain; this pregnancy so far had not been the easiest.

He decided he could hold off smoking for a little bit longer, instead using the time to go over to Scout and sit with her to talk.

When he came over and sat beside her on the couch, she lit up and actually did smile, for real this time. Andy put his hand on her leg. "Hey, how are you doing?"

She leaned into him, taking a breath. "Okay."

Andy met eyes with Scout, giving her a doubtful look. "Tell the truth."

She smiled a little, shaking her head. "You know me so well."

"I think it would be kind of bad if I didn't," he told her with a small laugh.

"Well, that's true," she agreed, grinning. "Fine. Not so good."

"Yeah, that's what I thought...."

"Look, Andy, I just don't want you to feel bad for me or anything. I've done this.... what, four times before now --"

"Scout," Andy interrupted, looking at her as if he was trying to give her some kind of warning, then turning his gaze over to Bex, who was standing there waiting, her hands laced together behind her back. If he was reading her right, Andy thought she seemed a little nervous. "What's up, Bex? You need something?"

"Um.... yeah, kind of. Well.... yes. Dennis and I have something to tell you guys. Or.... discuss with you both, rather.

He exchanged glances with Scout, and as he looked back to Bex, he had a sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach. No. Please. Not again, not yet at least.

Andy looked up at Bex, forcing the tiniest smile. "'Kay. Well.... get Dennis and you two can sit down right here across from us when you come back."

Bex nodded and ran off, back upstairs. The whole time she was gone, Scout and Andy sat there, but no words where exchanged between the two of them then.

Bex came back, Dennis with her, and Andy shifted in his seat. Somehow, he knew what was coming, maybe because of the amount of times he'd heard the same phrase from different people.

So many times.

They sat down across from Scout and Andy, quietly whispering things back and forth before they both got situated.

Meeting eyes with both of them, Andy sighed, his hands clasped around his one knee, one leg crossed over the other. "So, let's make this simple," he said, his attitude seeming short and pretty nonchalant but inside, his heart pounding. "Have I heard this before?" he flat-out asked, acting like it was no big deal.

"Well, let me --" Bex started, then looking at Dennis, she added,  -- let us -- just tell you straight out. It will be simple and easy, just like you want it to be." She waited for Dennis to look back at her, and when he finally did, he shrugged, saying, "I said it last time, now it's your turn!"

"Fine." Bex turned back to face them, letting out a breath. "Scout, Andy," she said, looking straight at them. "I'm pregnant."

Even though for Andy it was like stating the obvious, he began to feel lightheaded.

I need a couple of cigarettes.

I need a drink.

"I'll be back," he muttered, quick to get up, grab a few things and run out the front door.

I need a break.

A mental break, more like.

So he drank until he was drinker than drunk, just to get his mind off of things, but he knew that later, he couldn't throw up his problems along with all the alcohol, too.

He knew it all along, but he didn't care. He just needed to not think about things for a while, and then be miserable later anyway, and blame it on himself for everything like always, because it was all his fault.... like always.

Blamin' myself,

Tied to these chains

Livin' in pain

Walk away.

Song lyrics © Black Veil Brides 2014, 'Walk Away'