rock bottom

melanie stood up from her chair and held the key firmly in her hand. pete walked over to grab it until melanie stopped it halfway to say, "i'll be there." she assured pete, which confused the both of us.

"you'll be there?" pete wanted clarification, melanie nodded, "yeah, for the monkey house. i wanna watch it this time." he further explained, petes eyes widened as he took the guy from her hand.

"ummm-- alright," he strangely agreed, "it's happening tonight after eight, i'll let ryan know." was the last thing he said before walking out of the room, leaving me in a daze of confusion and anger.

"you're gonna let it happen?!" i shot a glare at her, melanie shrugged and sat back down in her seat, taking a blunt out from one of the drawers and lighting it up.

i really couldn't believe what she was doing, this was a whole new low, and now i had no one in power that could help me, "are you serious?!"

melanie took a puff and exhaled the drug, the horrid stench filling up the room in an instant. she then answered with, "hey, i'm gonna be high out of my mind by then," she took another puff, "so someone else should take my place and go there at eight." she suggested, exhaling.

that's when i understood her, catching onto her plan. though it still left a bad taste in my mouth, i think i got what she was doing. i felt my nerves loosen up at but as i took a sigh of relief, which then made me cough from the smoke blown in the room.

and that's when the question came to mind, "where is the monkey house?" i wondered, melanie took another slow puff before looking at me, "it's at the end of the hall in the forbidden part of the basement. y'know, where all the mentally insane patients are held?"

i could already smell defeat from here, and it smelled like rotten beer. i sighed again, but figured this plan was as good of one as any. i got up from the chair and was about to leave the room to go back and fine jon, until melanie's voice stopped me.

"hey josh," she cleared her throat as i looked back at her, "try not to die." was the piece of advice she gave me before i left the room, and was now on a mission to try and fix the mess i made.

__________

i went back to jons room and waited there for a few hours until her returned, but i didn't mind it, as it did give me some time to think.

i knew i had no real weapons or a clear plan in mind, but melanie gave me a shot, and i was willing to risk it. if only i knew where the others were, but i now realized i had to do this on my own.

last time i checked the clock, it was around four, which meant i had four hours to think of and come up with a logic plan of attack, though i figured i couldn't do this alone.

when jon came back, exhausted and sweaty, he greeted me as he grabbed a chilled water bottle from his mini fridge. i exchanged the same hello until i subtly tried bringing up the topic.

"hey jon," i chimed in, "have you ever seen what goes on in the monkey house?"

this made him choke on his water for a few seconds until he regained himself and looked at me with wide eyes, "uhhh-- why're you asking me that?" he questioned me.

i casually shrugged, "i was just wondering is all." though he clearly didn't buy this answer as he quickly proceeded to dismiss my excuses, "what did raz tell you about the monkey house?"

i paused for a second, wondering if i should tell him everything. jon did know his way around here, and maybe he could help me. i sighed, "okay look," i have in, "one of my friends is being used for the monkey house-- and i have to stop it."

jons face fell pale as he stared at me, completely baffled, "the same friend we saw in the prison?" he wondered, i shook my head, "no-- it's another friend.. a special friend." i explained, jon slowly caught on.

"who is this friend?" he questioned me.

i took a deep breath, "it's tyler jospeh. and the only way i can save him and my other friends is with your help. so... what d'ya say?" i was desperate for the answer i was looking for.

there was a long and anxiety-filled pause in the conversation. that's when jon looked me dead in the eye and his arms crossed. his voice firm and assuring, "no," he shook his head, "i'm not gonna let you stop it."