Chapter Six: Ren

A little while later, we went back to her house, and she went to her room without saying goodbye. Gareth told me that I was welcome at their house any time. When I finally got home, the sun was halfway below the horizon.

"Spending time with your fiance, brother?" Cai elbowed my in the ribs, teasing.

"If I never hear that word again, I will die a happy man," I grumbled. "How come she isn't marrying you? You're the oldest."

"When Mother told me about it, she said that it had something to do with your magic. Apparently, hers accents your magic perfectly."

"Yeah, right," I scowled. "I'm still to young, though."

"Says the person who has always acted like an old person in a young man's body," Cai snorted. "You're already graduating high school!"

"You're back, Ren?" my father poked his head into the room. "Did you have a nice walk with Emi?"

I shrugged.

"Well, you'd better go to sleep," Cai slapped me in the back. "You've got school tomorrow, after all."

"Hello, little girl," I smiled, scratching Ember under the chin

The dragon cooed, stretching her neck forward and tilting her chin up.

I glanced over towards the steps, where Emi was eating with her friend again. They were both Earth mage students, neither of which looked very talented. I noticed that they were both thrown looks of disdain by the other Earth mage students, but that wasn't any of my business. They were leaning over a thick, leather-bound book, which I assumed was a grimoire, reading it fervently.

"What are you looking at her for?" a girl sat down on the ground beside me, smirking.

If any one word were used to describe her, it would be white. She had white blond hair, which hung a little past her shoulders, and her pale blue eyes were heavily lined with eyeliner. Her skin was incredibly pale, as well.

"I haven't seen her before," I lied, looking back at Ember.

"Well, don't bother with her. She isn't worth the time of a prodigy like you."

"And what is your name?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Adela Dalca."

"You're in my first period class, aren't you?"

"You noticed?" she raised an eyebrow.

"You've corrected the teacher several times."

"What can I say? He was teaching it wrong."

"So, what do you want, Adela?"

"I was wondering if you would want to hang out sometime."

"When?"

Suddenly, the atmosphere got overbearingly cold, and shut off. I felt as if a pair of eyes were boring into the back of my skull, and I flipped around to glance at Emi. Her eyes were squeezed shut, her face still turned towards the grimoire.