Chapter Twelve: Ren

"It's time," my mother said, patting me on the cheek. "I'm so proud of you, Ren."

"You mean, proud that I haven't done something yet?"

"I'm also proud of the man you've become."

I scowled at her sudden emotions, feeling her touchy-feely aura oozing towards me. I watched as she wiped away a tear (I assumed that it was one of joy), and took her seat beside my father. I peered out the doorway, scanning the small crowd that had gathered, fifteen for each family.

My uncle and his two sons, Kuro and Ryuu, sat in the front row beside my mother, and about ten of their friends arranged themselves behind them. Three seats were taken up by small children, presumably the children of the family friends. At the front row on the Griffins' side, Emi's mother sat in the front row closest to the aisle, with an empty seat beside her. Besides that, thirteen strangers sat in their places, five of them little kids.

"Alright," my father smiled. "Are you ready, Ren?"

"How could I ever be ready?" I asked.

"I guess no one would ever be for an occasion like this," he winced a little. "But let's get started, anyway."

I saw Emi's father climb up the stairs, probably to get her, and I followed my father to the arch. My hands shook, whether from nerves or anger I didn't know. I waited there for what seemed like forever, before Emi appeared at the end of the aisle.

I sucked my breath in, surprised. She was beautiful, like a wingless angel in a long white dress, flowing down the aisle. She looked as scared as I felt. She clenched her bouquet, made of white lilies and roses, in her left fist, her right arm looped around her father's elbow. Her steps wavered, and she didn't smile.

When she finally came to my side, her father took his seat, and mine began to speak. "We are gathered here today to witness the union of Ren Curran," he winked at me. "And Emi Griffin. Are there any objections to this match?"

No one raised their voice. Emi shifted nervously, glancing at me. Gently, I took her hand, as if the reassure her, but mainly to reassure myself. We were in the same boat. I glanced back at her, and she squeezed my hand so hard that I thought she would break it.

"Ren, do you take Emi Griffin to be your wife?" my father looked at me expectantly.

My voice slightly wavered, before I forced it to be smooth. There was only one answer. "I do." Emi's hand quivered.

"Emi, do you take Ren Curran to be your husband?" my father smiled at her.

She was silent for a few moments, and I could feel her shaking beside me. I also knew that my fingers had turned purple. "I do."

"Ren, with this ring," my father produced a thick, engraved band of gold. "I thee wed."

I held out my left hand, and he carefully slid the ring onto my finger. I stared at it, partly amazed and partly resentful. With that simple band of gold, I was tied to someone else for the rest of my life, with no escape. It would follow me everywhere.

"Emi," my father produced a ring made of white gold, engraved with designs similar to mine, but much thinner. Four diamonds decorated it, spaced evenly around the ring. "With this ring, I thee wed."

She gave him her hand, and he put it on her ring finger. Turmoil filled me, unsure of what I should do. Her hand sought mine again, and I gave it back to her viselike grip. She was still shaking, but not as much. My hand seemed to calm her, to some percent.

"Congratulations," my father nodded at us. "You may kiss the bride."

Shakily, I turned towards her, unsure of what to do. She stared back at me, her eyes wide. The skirt of her dress shook with her knees. I took her other hand in my right, and leaned in to whisper into her ear.