Chapter Eight: Ren

"Where were you yesterday?" Adela leaned against the tree that I stood by, looking at me through the corner of her eye.

"I got sick," I shrugged. "I didn't go to school."

"Are you better?"

"Yes."

"Then, you owe me a date."

"It would appear that I do," I smiled at her, though I felt like it was fake.

"Well, meet me here at five," she winked at me.

"Definitely," I smiled.

Adela turned to go talk to her friends, and I glanced at Emi. She sat on the steps again, reading another blasted grimoire with her friend. She was completely engrossed in it, but I noticed the dark circles around her eyes. She must have had a nightmare about something incredibly pathetic.

The class bell rang, and lunch was over. It was going to be a long time until five. I walked to class, my feet sluggish, and took a seat at the back of the class, for once. I didn't feel like helping the teacher today, and I didn't want to noticed. The lecture started, and I pretended to be taking notes in my grimoire, letting the teacher believe that I didn't know the topic.

"I won't have to come back here next year," I thought. "I'll have graduated early, and I'll probably be recruited for the military. There's no way they're going to ignore a Fire mage prodigy."

Finally, I decided to put my pen down and just listen to the teacher talk; "... Ever since its discovery, magic has been used for both civilian and military reasons. Once a mage has finished education, they are usually drafted into the military to serve, their speed of recruitment depending on their situation. Depending on how well they serve, a Fire mage's tour of duty lasts from one to five years, unless an unpredicted situation comes to rise. Some of you," the lecturer glanced at me. "Will probably be recruited one to three months after graduation, while some of you may wait one or two years. However, if a mage doesn't complete their education, they will not be recruited, but they will also not receive the benefits of a full education."

I had heard this talk two times before. It was given once a year to every class, to remind them to complete their education and do our homeland proud. I personally thought that it was stupid, but they never failed to deliver it.

I finally zoned out, not bothering to listen to the rest.

"Ready to go, Ren?" Adela grabbed my hand, pulling me towards her

"Ready to go, Ren?" Adela grabbed my hand, pulling me towards her. "You look nice."

I had chosen to wear a pair of dark jeans and a white shirt that had my family crest on the breast pocket, with a red hooded jacket. "You too."

"Thanks," she smiled, fingering her elbow.

Adela had chosen to wear a short black dress to match her eyeliner, along with a blue sweater. It looked like she was planning on going to a fancy dinner, or a party with some of my parents' friends. I mentally kicked myself for not wearing something nice.