Always (The Beatles)

Audrey's POV

Summer of 1956 was the summer my life changed. I was having to move from Liverpool, all the way to New York City. I didn't want to leave. There was too much to leave behind- My friends, my school... Paul McCartney. Paul was my best friend at that time, and he was like my everything. I might of had a small crush on him, but hey. That was many years ago. I remember everything from the day I moved. It was July 19, and Paul was helping carry things out of my old house. By the time we were done, we went to go sit down underneath the tree in my front yard. "I can't believe your leaving..." Paul said and I sighed. "Neither can I. We've been friends since we were four, and our friendship can't be gone just like that." Paul nodded. "You're right. Ten years can't be gone like that. We've been friends for too long." He says and I look down. Paul sighs and looks at me. "I'll miss you, Audrey." He says and I reply, "I'll miss you too, Paulie." Paul gives me a hug and asks, "Will you remember me?" My answer is quite obvious. "Always." I say and he pulls away from the hug. Paul and I began to talk about memories from the last ten years up until my dad called for me- Time to leave. Paul and I stood up, and he gave me one last hug. "See you soon. Okay?" He says and I reply, "Okay."

Eight years later, I saw him again.

It was 1964 and I was in New York City. I was a twenty-two year old girl who graduated from Harvard last year, and I was wondering about in the city. I decided to head to a coffee joint just a few blocks away. As I was walking, a clump of snow fell off a tree branch and landed directly on my head. "Crap." I said to myself, and I kept walking. As I was walking into the coffee joint, I noticed somebody familiar sitting at one of the tables. I know I have seen him before- I just know I have. The way the man is smiling, the color of his hair... I can't quite think of his name. I decide to let it go. I probably don't know him, anyway. As I walked up to the bar, the familiar man bumped into me. "Sorry!" He said, and his voice is what hit me like a ton of bricks. Paul McCartney. "It's fine." I say. Does he remember me? He said he would... Does he, though? "You're Paul, right?" I ask and he nods. "That's right. I'm Paul McCartney, and you seem very familiar. What's your name?" He asks and I answer, "Well, I seem familiar because you know me. My names Audrey Winston." Paul looks at me and smiles. "I remember you. I told you I would remember. Didn't I?" He says and I laugh. "Well, you said that you would always remember me." I say and he says, "I did say that. I also said that I would see you soon... But, right years is way too long. Let's go out for a walk, and we can catch up on what's been going on."

Paul and I left the coffee shop. "So, Paul. What are you doing in New York?" I ask and he replies, "I'm in a band. We're going to be performing on the Ed Sullivan show on Sunday." I glance over at the frozen pond and say, "Wow. A band. Quite impressive. What's the name of this band?" I ask and he answers, "The Beatles." Paul smiles at me, and says, "Well, what's been going on with you?" "Well, I graduated from Harvard last year. My dad died last March." I say and Paul frowns. "I'm sorry, Audrey." He says and gives me a one-armed hug. "It's ok." I reply. My dad died a month after my twenty-first birthday, which is on February 3, and he died due to a heart attack. My mom was never around for me. She left my dad and I whenever I was 4 months old. My dad was about the only person I had. After learning about his death, it was like a ton of bricks hit me again... And again... And again... I wanted to believe it was all a dream- But was it? No. Paul glances at the sky for a moment, and than looks down. "My mom died three months after you moved away. I know what it feels like to loose a parent." He says and I sigh. "Yeah. Sucks, doesn't it?" Paul nods. Paul and I walk around for a few more hours. He offers to walk me home, and he does. As I walk into my house, I take another look at Paul. After eight years, I've been reunited with my best friend.