Chapter 12: The Two Trikru Sisters.

We made good time on our journey, but the closer we got to Polis the more anxious I became and more fearful of the fate of my people.
We'd stopped to rest overnight in Trikru territory about half a days ride from Polis. I sat by the fire, lost in my thoughts. Thayer approached with some food and passed it to me, "Eat this. A heavy heart beats louder on an empty stomach."
I accepted the food and thanked her as she sat beside me, " You sound like your sister," I commented, smiling at Thayers words of wisdom.
She grinned back at me, "Lexa was always far wiser than I was growing up. Even when we trained she was always more focused. I think I drove Anya crazy."
Hearing Thayer talk of her childhood with Lexa warmed my heart, "What was she like?" I urged.
"Lexa was dedicated. She trained hard, she accepted her blood and what it would mean for her one day. To become Heda was an honour." Thayer spoke proudly of her, but I knew she didn't feel the same about her Nightblood, "And you?" I asked.
"I never wanted to become Commander, never wanted to kill or die for my blood. We were twelve  when we were told we were to go to Polis to begin our Commanders training. I knew Lexa would always follow her duties, but  that life wasn't for me. I'd already made my decision, tortured myself over what I was about to do. That night a I awoke with a heavy heart. I looked down upon the face of my sister as she slept, never knowing if I'd ever see her again. I gathered some supplies and left my clan, my family, my sister. It broke my heart, but I'd rather be labelled an outcast than be ordered to kill my sister in the conclave."
The pain of leaving Lexa behind was still raw for Thayer. She spoke of how she travelled as a solitary nomad until reaching The Dead Zone where Rooks family took her in. We sat and finished our food by the fire, I had started to see the mindful soul behind the fierce  warrior. "You miss her?" I asked.
"With all of my heart," She answered, full of sorrow before continuing on, "It's strange that I have so much hate for Azgeda yet it was Azgeda that brought us back together."
I listened with complete intent at the tale of the two sisters from The Woods Clan. With each word I craved to know more.

I continued to be lost in Thayers words, "How did you find each other again?" I asked.
"I heard Lexa won her conclave, so I travelled to Polis, my identity hidden, to catch a glimpse of her. I wanted to know she was ok."
It was intriguing that Thayer still watched over her sister, "You never made your presence known?"
She shook her head, "No. It would have complicated things for her. It wasn't until Queen Nia declared war on Lexa and the clans that supported her that she even knew I was still alive."
I knew of the tumultuous times with Azgeda but never in great detail, "Lexa never really spoke of the Azgeda war."
Thayer looked mournful , "They were tough times for the clans but worse for Lexa."
I knew of what Thayer spoke of, "Costia!"
She nodded back, "Yes. She was a Plains Rider, a warrior. Nia had her brutally tortured and sent her head back to Lexa. It broke her. She marched against Azgeda with a heart full of anger. I'd heard of what happened and joined the fight. On the battlefield I watched my sister so full of pain and anger she never saw the amount of Ice Nation soldiers that had begun to surround her. I rushed to her side and fought back to back with her. There were so many, I never saw the sword coming towards my face until it sliced at my flesh. My mask fell, I couldn't see out of my eye, blood was everywhere. Lexa saw me for the first time in years, by her side fighting to keep us both alive, she was shocked, but there was no time for a reunion. We fought on until Azgeda were pushed back and the battle was over."

Her story was mesmerising, with every word I could tell Thayer was back there on that battlefield with her sister, "After the battle was over what did you do? I asked

"I walked away. She called out to me,  I just turned and smiled in silence before leaving to return to my people. We never needed words that day. In some way Lexa knew I'd always been there by her side."
Thayer spoke with so much love for Lexa. It was an honour to listen to her words.

The flames of the fire began to burn low as the night drew on. We should have been resting but I was so curious to hear all that Thayer would allow, "When did you decide to make contact with Lexa?" I pursued.
Thayer stoked the fire bringing it back to life, "After the war, after an agreement of peace was decided upon between the clans. The threat of the Mountain Men was too great for the clans to remain fractured. When Lexa's coalition mended old rivalries I felt it was time."
It must have been hard for Thayer to reach such a decision after living away from Lexa for so long, "What happened?" I asked as Thayer breathed deeply before continuing, "I sent one of my people to seek out Anya. I needed to get my message to Lexa. I knew Anya would still be sore about me abandoning Trikru but she would honour my request. Lexa agreed to meet with me at night on the border of The Commanders woods. It was hard seeing her. I had to face the decision I made all those years ago to leave her behind. She remained silent as she walked over to me. I was lost for words, never knowing how she would react. She looked at me so intensely and gently touched the scars around my eye as a tear fell down her cheek. I pulled her closer and hugged her so tightly. Finally I had my sister back."

I watched as Thayers mind travelled back to once again visit that moment

I watched as Thayers mind travelled back to once again visit that moment. I knew how she felt, the loss of someone you love felt all consuming in your soul.
She turned to face me, "I was there at The Mountain, Wanheda. I was there when she fought Roan and killed the Ice Queen. I was there to see how much she'd fallen in love with you. You mended her heart and despite everything she never stopped loving you. The day I saw that red smoke rising into the sky, the day I knew she was gone, I would have torn the heavens apart to get her back for the both of us."
Tears welled in my eyes. We sat together watching the last of the flames die down, lost in our sorrow. My heart still yearned, it still felt broken and I knew no way of fixing it.