Chapter 18: Terms & Conditions.

The next day saw the arrival of the clans leaders to Polis. They had travelled immediately after the news of King Roans demise. All were intrigued to meet this mysterious nightblood, sister of Lexa Kom Trikru.
Thayer had spent the day meeting with them to discuss her willingness to take The Flame and what it would mean for this bleak future we all faced. She had requested that I attended the conference as Skaikru's Ambassador.
Already she had presented herself as a leader who would demand respect, "Clan leaders these are my terms. The coalition still stands for those who wish to be a part of it. Those who supported Azgeda will be given the chance to redeem themselves, those who wish to separate are free to do so. There is a threat on the horizon that warrants our full attention. Time will not be wasted on those who do not wish to band together. Our salvation now rests with the Spirit of the Commander. Whether you like it or not I am the only natblida you have."

Thayer spoke with a confidence that commanded the attention of the room

Thayer spoke with a confidence that commanded the attention of the room. The leader of Delfikru stood and spoke out, "How do we know this threat is real?"
Thayer replied without hesitation, "Wanheda has seen what's to come, she speaks the truth."
He glared at me, disapproving of my presence at the meeting, "Skaikru are the bringers of Death, yet Wanheda still stands in these halls!"
Thayer moved over to face him, I watched as he recoiled slightly, "Wanheda and Skaikru will remain as The Thirteen Clan. As for the one who brought death down upon you, Jus drein jus daun will stand. Jaha's fate will be death!"
The clans were appeased by Thayers vow, and rose from their seats in a show of support. She looked at me, seeing the shock in my face at her ruling, "This is a small price to pay for unity, Wanheda."
I was lost for words, but in my heart I knew this was the only way we could all move forward as one. I stood by Thayers side in support. For the moment, blood must have blood. I hoped it wouldn't remain this way.

As the sun lowered it's rays beneath the horizon, the time for the accession ceremony was upon us

As the sun lowered it's rays beneath the horizon, the time for the accession ceremony was upon us. Thayer had curiously requested my presence in the Commanders chambers.
I entered the room to find her simply dressed in black, "You wanted to see me?" I queried.
"Yes, there's something I need to ask of you," her tone was apprehensive. She walked over to me holding a set of surgical tools wrapped in cloth and made her request, "You've been the keeper of The Flame since Lexa passed on, she trusted you.... I trust you. I want you to perform the ascension."
I stood in shock, it was considered as one of the greatest honours in grounder culture. "The clan leaders will disapprove," I said.
Thayer smiled and handed the items to me, "The clans will obey my wishes."
Thayer stood tall, awaiting my answer. "It would be an honour," I said as I held the future of grounder leadership in my hands.
Thayer nodded in gratitude before breathing deeply, "Time dictates our destiny. I believe you have an ascension to perform, Flamekeeper."
We walked side by side into the throne room. All eyes were focused on the two of us. Thayer turned to speak to all of those present, "Today we see the rise of a new Heda, the Spirit of the Commander will endure. I will lead with strength, wisdom and compassion, the three pillars of Becca Pramheda. This is my vow."
Thayer sat upon The Commanders throne and turned to look at me, "Wanheda, The Flame." The clans leaders looked surprised, but not one of them questioned Thayers decision.
I stood by the side of her as she bowed her head to reveal the back of her neck. Using the scalpel I carefully made a small incision, black blood flowed from the cut. Taking The Flame from its box, I held it between my fingertips and uttered the words that would change everything, "Ascende superius!" The Flame activated. I placed it on Thayers neck and watched it bond with her body. She flinched as it moved under her skin and then stillness as her eyes closed. Silence filled the the air.