Chapter 17: Ask Me.

Indra had overseen the capture of  Ice Nation soldiers that remained in Polis. The Ambassadors had been confined in The Tower until their clan leaders arrived to discuss how to move forward. Thayer had personally requested that Indra also see to the release of my people and any medical care they needed from the healers in her clan. I was eager to see them but I had matters to discuss with Thayer now that Azgeda had been removed from power.
I guided her to The Commanders chambers, it was the first time she'd ever seen Lexa's room. She looked around, fascinated by some of her sisters belongings that still remained there. Across the back of a chair, Lexa's shoulder armour was positioned. Thayer walked over to it and traced her fingertips over it, "Roan never wore it," she remarked. "He was a King not a Commander. I suspect he wanted to distance himself from The Commanders legacy," I theorised.

A drop of blood fell from the cuts on Thayers face, she put her hand to the injury and flinched

"Sit down," I said as I gathered up some items to clean her injury.
"It's really not that bad," she protested.
"Even the strongest warriors need taking care of once in a while," I insisted. I gently wiped away the black blood from her cheek; this sacred blood that held its lineage back to Becca Pramheda. Without this nightblood The Flame would become obsolete, a mere relic of the past.
Thayer looked to me as we sat in silence, " Ask me," she uttered softly. "You need to rest, you're exhausted," I replied, knowing what she spoke of. I was wary of what her answer would be should I decided to ask.
She brought her hand to mine and stopped me from attending to her  injuries, "Ask me," she insisted.
I looked deep into her eyes, my voice quivered as I spoke, "Will you take The Flame? Will you become the next Commander?"
Thayer held my glare as she replied, "For Lexa. For you, Wanheda. Yes, I will take The Flame." Our eyes remained locked upon each other. Everything was about to change.

I left Thayer to rest in The Commanders chambers and went to see my mother along with the rest of my people

I left Thayer to rest in The Commanders chambers and went to see my mother along with the rest of my people. Once again we were all gathered in the throne room. Their wounds were treated but they all looked exhausted from Azgeda's cruelty. I rushed over to my mother and hugged her, "I'm glad you're safe," turning to the others I smiled, "I'm glad you're all safe."
My mother had tears in her eyes, "We tried to keep the information about Lexa's sister away from Roan, but the things they did were inhumane." She turned to look at Emori who was covered in cuts and bruises from being tortured, Murphy held her close.
"It doesn't matter. You're all alive that's what's important. Some of Thayers people have headed out to Arkadia  to make sure any Azgeda threat there is eliminated," my words comforted those around me. We were safe from the rule of The Ice Nation, but now we had to face the prospect of our destruction.
I looked around at the faces of those I cared about, "I assume Indra has filled you in on everything?
Kane answered, "Yes. Will Lexa's sister take The Flame?"
I smiled back at him, "She will. Polis will have a new Commander." Bellamy had his concerns, "What about the clans? With everything we face, will they accept her?"
I understood his worries but Thayer carried the sacred legacy of Becca Pramheda. At a time when everything felt so fractured, she would be the one to bring us back together, to guide us through what was to come.
"Thayer knows what's at stake. When it comes to leadership she can be very persuasive. The accession is set for tomorrow night. Word has been sent to the clans, those who supported Azgeda and our allies. It is up to the clans if they remain as a coalition. A choice will be given, it's how Lexa would have wanted it."
I hoped we would all remain united in our struggle and that I was right about a solution to our destruction being held in The Flame. Come sunset tomorrow all would be answered and a new Commander would sit upon the throne of Polis.