| Twenty-One |

"Shh," The familiar voice that I was dreading to hear whispered in my ear. "It's just me, Brielle. Relax." I struggled in his arms again, but his iron grip on me was too strong. Struggling was useless. My body relaxed as I exhaled a long breath. I didn't think he would hurt me, but he was a demon after all. A demon.. I was in disbelief. I had to be careful. "If I move my hand will you keep quiet? I don't want the inspector to hear us. It won't be good if he does."

   I agreed with him. The last thing I needed was for Mr. Knight to be more angered with me than he already was. I didn't want a harsher punishment. The room was pitch black but my eyes were quickly adjusting. I nodded my head, my lips brushing against his large hand. Slowly, he moved his hand away from my mouth and the line of his body moved away from my back. His body curved so perfectly against mine. His warmth left me and I shivered, suddenly cold. I remained quiet, just like he asked.

   "Good girl," he whispered and switched on his light. I winced at the sudden brightness. The first thing I saw when my eyes adjusted to the light was his door. Why did he drag me into his room?

   "What the hell was that, Lucky?!" I spun around and whisper-shouted at him. My anger dimmed as I saw him stood in front of me with nothing on but a pair of grey sweatpants that hung dangerously low on his hips. My eyes marvelled over his sculpted abs and up his chest. I didn't show how his body affected me. I didn't give him the satisfaction of knowing just how much he affected me.

   "I'm sorry, Brielle." his voice was thick with emotion. Slowly, I met his gaze and instantly regretted it. His skin looked perfect, no dark circles under his eyes or acne, but his eyes, his eyes told a different story. His eyes were jaded, and the look I had seen too many times than I liked, was there once again. His eyes looked tired, and I saw fear in them. But, a fear of what? What could an incubus like him be so afraid of?

   "Losing you," he stated quietly.

   "What?" I asked.

   "An incubus like me is scared of losing you."

   I couldn't stop my jaw from dropping. "You can read my mind." I made it a statement.

   "Yes," he hesitated. "Most of the time."

I was in disbelief. He had heard almost every single thought I've had about him. But why couldn't he read it all the time? "Most of the time?" I asked in confusion.

"I don't know how to answer that one," he shook his head. "You're the first human I've met that I can't always read. You're quite incredible."

Ignoring the way my heart clenched at his words, I continued my interrogation.

   "You can invade my dreams."

   "No."

   This took me by surprise. "What? Then how can you explain those dreams I had of you?" Heat crawled up my neck as I remembered the contents of the dreams.

   "They weren't dreams, Brielle." he stated. I nodded my head once. That somehow made me more nervous.

   "Why me?" I found myself asking.

   "Why not you?" he countered. We stared into each other's eyes for a few moments as I gathered my thoughts. "Brielle, when I first saw you in the café close to your old street, I couldn't take my eyes off of you. Your smile and your aura.. Brielle, you are the most beautiful person I have ever met in my existence, and I'm not just talking about on the outside. You're so, pure. I was attracted to your innocence." he looked away, embarrassment evident in his eyes. "Monsters like me are always attracted to good people."