Chapter 15: Heading To Montana

(Hayley's Pov)

I stared at the small key and paper with Cody's handwriting on it for hours. I thought about how my life would be in Montana. I wondered if I'd have new best friends, or if my parents would cut me off and tell me to pay myself.

I imagined Mine and Cody's life in Montana, I imagined that it would be hard at first but we'd get through it. We'd be happy, and full of life as our neighbors invited us to their backyard parties. no one knew about him. Not a single one called him insane, psychotic. Cody Simpson is not mad. That was a world I wanted to live in.

I stayed up all night thinking about him, hoping he didn't think that I was giving up on him, because I wasn't. It had been a restless night as I thought about how he hated the cold, and I'm sure Elijah was enjoying every minute of him suffering in that cell. I fought with myself wondering if Cody deserved this or not. He robbed a bank, he escaped a high security mental institution, he was a criminal.

I thought about how long I had to wait until I'd see him again. He had a plan but didn't want to share it with me, he said 'Corey and Adrian know what to do.' I instantly found myself involved with Cody's criminal friends! I've changed! But I kept coming back to him.

I grabbed the duffle bag out of my closet and began filling it with clothes. I wasn't going to sit here while Cody stayed in jail, talking to his criminal friends, I'll go see what we have in Montana, For him.

"Hayley, I need to ask you a few questions." I heard Elijah say I rolled my eyes and looked back to see David with him and continued to my car.

"Hayley, don't make this hard, this is serious." David said as I unlocked my car, throwing my duffle bag into it. I shut the door and turned to them.

"Where you going?" Elijah asked.

"Out of state with my friends." I say and Elijah and David shared a glance.

"I know we obviously aren't you favorite people right now-"

"I just want him to be safe. I was up all night wondering about him." I confess. "Will he be taken back to Emerson?" I ask and Elijah nodded.

"Hayley, where were you Friday evening at 2:30?" David asked.

"Your kidding." I almost laugh. "He's kidding right?" I ask Elijah.

"Answer the question." David said and I looked at them as if they didn't know me.

"I was at college, and your insane if you think I helped Cody." I say walking around my car to the drivers side.

"We have evidence that he's been in your apartment, you've supplied him with drugs-"

"What are saying?" I ask.

"Did you house Cody Simpson?" He asked and I was baffled.

"Why would you think that? I don't get in trouble-"

"Until he got out. Perfect kid. Never got questions by the police but here we are." David said and I scoffed and got into my car. I started it and immediately put it in reverse.

-

I followed the directions that Cody gave me and it brought me to a single story white ranch style house, with a red door. The front of the douse was sprayed with graffiti, and a single cactus plant sat in a rock bed. I parked on the road, hesitated, but got out of my car. A dark tall wood privacy fence ran from the side of the house, so people couldn't see the backyard. I walked up the step and knocked three times, and waited. A built in mailbox opened and I saw a pair of green eyes. It shut abruptly, before I heard about five locks unlock before the door swung open. He cleared his throat and looked around.

"What do you want?" He said and I handed him the pierce of paper. He opened it, looking up at me, back down at the paper, then back up at me arching an eyebrow.
"Cody sent you to get this?" He asked and I nodded, he opened the door wider and I looked around before entering a couple of  pipes were laying on the table along with a newspaper with Cody's mugshot on it. I grabbed it and followed him through a fake tile floor of the kitchen. He pushed a flimsy screen door open and I stepped onto the dead grass lawn.

"His car is in the shed over there, I'll open the gate for you." I nodded and walked back through the house and to my car.

When I drove through, I opened the back and Corey placed the duffel bags in the back.

"Thank you." I said as he lit a a cigarette.

"Don't get caught." He said leaving and walking back over toward the gate. I sigh and climed back into my car and put it in reverse.

I'm coming Montana.