Chapter 22: Breaking Point

(Hayley's Pov)

I've risked my career on Cody. I've risked what was left of my brothers trust, my relationship with my family. We where perfectly happy before Cody arrived back in my life. The cops knew there was something different about me. I stayed in town for three days, but not another day more-just so they wouldn't suspect anything. I had to constantly turn down Anthony when he invited me a 'dates', and  family diner-because of Cody.

I sat in the driveway to our house for almost an hour going over what I've done for him. My lawyer even called and said someone was helping me, he said that it was probably someone I knew. I didn't understand it but he said not to raise any questions about it, and not to give the cops any more of a reason to look into me. Cody would be so mad when he learned what I did but I was so angry at Cody. I jumped out of my skin as someone knocked on my window, Nick. He lifted his hands in shock as I rolled down the window and he chuckled.

"Didn't mean to scare you, you alright?" He asked and I looked over at his badge. "You've been sitting in there for a while, might wanna go inside it's getting cold." He said and nodded my head.

"I'm fine just got some life changing news." I lie giving him a forced smile.

"Okay," he said uncertainly, backing away from the car looking over it. "Just making sure." He says walking over to his patrol car, I watched him through the side mirror as he looked back at the car, concentrating on my license. I rolled up the window and watched him dive off before I got out, and into the cold wind. I quickly got out my suitcase and a duffle bag before locking my car.

As I walked up the steps my anxiety died while anger rose over who was on the other side of the door. It was unlocked, that's odd Cody always locks the door. I opened the door rolling on my suitcase almost immediately felling the warm air. I slammed the door shut and lock it behind me when I look up I see Cody coming out of the kitchen with a gun pointed at me. When he saw me he held his hand to his chest. I wanted to punch him in the face right there, slap him until he realized what he got me into.

"Jesus Hayley you almost gave me a heart attack!' He said put the gun on the bar, walking up to me. I walked up over to him too, raising my hand backwards. "What are you doing here-?" and I slapped him across the face as hard as I could. He grabbed his cheek and looked at me like I was crazy. He had a new tattoo on his hand, it was an anchor.

"What the fuck Hayley!?" He yelled, but I wasn't done, I felt like slapping him again, so I did. "HAYLEY!?" He yelled looking back at me and I crossed my arms trying to stay strong but when he looked over at me, I lost it. I looked down to the floor as my lip started quivering. Then I couldn't hold it in any longer, and I covered my face with my shaking hands. "Care to explain what the hell is wrong with you?" He asked and as much as I tired to stay quiet I had let out a sob.

"Hayley?" He asked concerned but didn't move from his spot. "What's wrong?" I walked up to him and wrapped my arms around him tightly, as if I hadn't seen him in months. Tears fell from my eyes and Cody pulled me closer.

"Hayley what's wrong?" He asked again quietly but I shut my eyes and shook my head.

"They're on to us, I don't Cody.. I-I-i can't sleep," I mumbled through my hands and chocked on my tears. He pulled me back to look at him but I pulled away from his and pushing my hair back. "Im failing psychology, who in the hell fails psychology!? I have finals coming up. Cody I can't do this anymore!" I yelled at him my voice hoarse.

"What do you mean?"

"I was arrested." I breathed out. "They raided Corey's house. Corey was finally arrested after they searched for him, He's going to tell on you! An-and me! And then you'll have to go back to Emerson-" he stopped me by wrapping his arms around me.