Episode 6: Christen

June 12th 1922

The NER was getting talked about more and more. The viaduct was complete and the rails were starting to head to a new town, Wallsbridge.

There was also a new station near the river called Busdin with a village next to it.

Hymerk was back with passenger trains but King Callum was still inneeded of a overhaul.

But overall the engines were doing well and The Old Director was pleaced with that his engined were doing there best.

But one day Ashfull was ordered to take a goods train to the viaduct.

"Is it ready?" he asked the foreman.

"No," he answered, "you have to shunt it up."

Ashfull wasn't please but started arranging the train but by the time he finish he was a bit late.

"Oh dear," he puffed, "I better make up for it."

But the train was heavy and by the time he got to Carrag's hill the trucks started to play there tricks.

"Hold back, hold back!" they giggled.

"Come on, come on," puffed Ashfull but it was no good.

Ashfull stopped halfway up the hill wheeshing steam furiously.

Soon, Anderson came to help push him up the hill and at last Ashfull was at the top of the hill.

But by the time he got to the viaduct, he was an hour late.

That night The Old Director came to see him.

"Ashfull," he said, "why were you late bringing the rails and sleepers to Wallsbridge.

Ashfull explained everythink and The Old Director thought.

"Thank you Ashfull," he replied, "I will sort the matter at once."

And he did, four days later a J50 puffed into the yard.

"I never seen an engine with those sort of tanks before," muttered Anderson to Hymerk.

Then as the engine stopped, The Old Director stepped down from his cab.

"This," he announce, "is Christen, he's here to help shunt the trains here and be the banker for Carrag's hill."

The engines looked curiously at the engine.

"He is also on trial," added The Old Director, "so don't be too welcome." He winked and smiled.

"Too late," murmered King Callum as The Old Director walked away.

"You are a LNER engine arn't you," said Hymerk.

"In deed I am," replied Christen proudly.

"I see," smiled King Callum, "I am King Callum of Thesang, King Callum my friends call me."

"I see," puffed Christen then King Callum and Christen started talking about the LNER.

"Well," sighed Hymerk, "at least King Callum has a person to talk to properly in his eyes."

Anderson and Ashfull had to agree.

Christen worked well in the yard the trains were on time and he felt very pleased with himself.

But he wanted to show the engines that he was able to be the banker for Carrag's hill.

That night The Old Director came to see him.

"You did very well today," he said, "so, tommorow some inspectors are coming to see you on your final trial."

"Yes sir," replied Christen and The Old Director left.

"Good luck youngster," called King Callum.

"Th-thank you," replied Christen nevously.

The next day the inspectors arrived and Christen coupled up to a brake van so that the inspectors can see what happens when Christen need to bank a train.

Christen was doing well shunting the trains to the engines and rolling stock to there siddings.

Soon, the foreman came up to him. "Ashfull is stuck up the hill," he said, "you need to go and help push."

Christen waited for The Old Director and the inspectors to get in and with that, the tank engine puffed away.

When Christen got there he sawed Ashfull and his train at the bottom of the hill.

Christen buffered up and whistled to tell Ashfull he was ready.

Slowly and surely the train started to climb the hill.

"Come on, come on," puffed Ashfull.

"We'll do it, we'll do it," wheeshed Christen.

And adventually, they manage to climb over the hill.

Christen whistled to Ashfull to tell he was going to head back and Ashfull whistled back and with that, Christen rolled back down the hill.

Later that day, The Old Director came to see Christen.

"You did very well with shunting aswell as banking Ashfull earlier today so me and the inspectors have dicided to let you stay on the railway," he said smiling.

"Oh thank you sir!" whistled Christen.

The next day the engines didn't see Chtisten but they did later at 5:00pm.

"My my," said King Callum, "you look fantastic Christen."

"Thank you, fellow LNER engine," puffed Christen.

Both engines chuckled. Christen was painted in a light blue paint with NER on his side tanks and above with a nameplate of his name and the number '5' on his bunker.

When the engines saw it him they were delighted, because of Christen in the fleat trains were starting to get ahead on schedule with the railway and now the track had started to head into a village called Ansder.

But things will start getting into mayhem. But that's a story for another day.