Eternal Night

My life changed forever the night I met Captain Jack Harkness. I am recalling these events from over thirty years ago through a veil of terror and grief. One evening Fred did not return home from work. He had been working for the Torchwood institute for over a year, it was supposed to be a secret organization except I knew the nature of my brother’s work. Torchwood existed to defend the empire and its people from hostile other worldly forces. Fred never explained how he was recruited or whether he’d accidentally discovered Torchwood. At the time Fred was training as a doctor but my brother was young, brave and resourceful, all the qualities desired of a Torchwood operative. Most important of all Fred had an open mind to singular events and the paranormal. So on that rainy November night as I made that fateful journey towards the docks in search of my brother, I was about to make a terrible discovery. For this city not only contained singularities, it was in fact a gateway for beings from other worlds…

 I was a girl of nineteen, who should not have been wandering alone through the docklands in the dead of the night but Fred always came home. I’d heard no word from him and there was no one who I could call for help. I knew with that unexplainable bond which we sometimes have with our loved ones that something was wrong. I continued walking, each step a battle against the elements as the icy winds blowing across the channel cut into my body spitefully. I’m not superstious but with hindsight it would seem fate had wanted me to return home that night. My heart was racing with fear as I jumped at my own shadows, a part of me wanted to turn back though I walked on determined as though I was in a dream. I wandered on through the deserted area, the crates and machinery rattling in the gale force winds. Then the rain finally came, I was about to give up but then I heard a strained voice full of anger and desperation, it belonged to my brother.

 “What more do you want from me. Haven’t I helped you enough Merak?! Just leave this place… My colleagues don’t know about you. Keep it that way.”

 My heart was in my mouth as I peered tentatively round the corner, the tall crates concealing me. Fred was wide eyed and cowering before the towering male figure known as Merak, who had his back to me. I gasped as Merak grab viciously at Fred’s clothes and lifted him with ease above the ground as though my brother was no more than a slight child.

 “It would be wise not to threaten me.” Merak spoke with underlying menace, his voice strangely hypnotic, yet clinically precise.

 I continued to watch, mesmerised by the terrifying scene, it did not belong to the world I knew. Then Merak’s whole manner changed as he spoke in a gentle, relenting tone.

 “It’s a pity you would not join me, I would have liked you as a companion Doctor Frederic Jones. It’s your loss… but before I move on from here my hunger will be satisfied this night.”

 Alarmed by his words I could watch no longer, my shaking hand reached into the deep pocket of my coat as I took hold of something I thought I’d never have to use in my life. Events around me began to move fast as Merak lowered Fred who had ceased to struggle as though he’d become prey who knew there was no escape. Merak wrapped his arms tightly around my brother as though they were lovers about to embrace. I leapt out of the shadows and held the revolver with both my shaking hands and pointed the weapon in the mad man’s direction.

 “Let go of him now!” I shouted angrily, my voice echoing through the docklands.

 Time stood still, the only sound was the sheets of rain falling heavily as the realisation dawned on the two men that they weren’t alone.

 “Bella?” Fred shouted incredulous but with a fear in his voice that I’d never known before. “For God’s sake Bella you must go now!”