The Captain's Marriage Proposal

Though I’m moving on too quickly, I haven’t finished with my marriage proposal yet… I was alone with the man I loved, away from prying eyes and no longer constrained within the insanity of Torchwood. As I walked at Jack’s side I was aware of the gale force winds but I could not feel the cold, I could only feel his hand in mine as Jack guided me, shielding me from the worst of the storm. We were entirely consumed in our own world of expectation, our fates delicately entwined and the future that could be ours awaiting us. We had stopped walking and I realized we were outside my home. My heart was pounding and I was a bundle of nerves as I dropped my key upon the step. Jack quickly retrieved the key and I lead him through to my drawing room.

 “Now where were we? Let’s do this properly. I’ve been drifting through people’s lives for too long and I think it’s time I put an end to my bachelor days. I haven’t actually asked you yet and in my experience you should never assume it’s a done deal.”

 I laughed at Jack’s humour but it was also liberating to discover that this man of the world was nervous like myself. His conversation had always been confident and direct, it was strange to hear him rambling with hesitancy. I had seen his sadness, Jack had told me his great secret but I was beginning to realise there were so many sides to him I had yet to see. Jack then proceeded to go down on bended knee, producing a delicate silver ring.

 “Bella Jones…Would you do me the great honour of becoming my wife?” Jack looked up with boyish vulnerability, his eyes full of hope.

 I have returned to that moment often in my life, I have existed in it many times. In my heart my answer was there but I could not reply straight away. It was the fear of the unknown and guilt which made me hesitate. It was as though Fred was standing beside me, it was strange to think he was once Jack’s lover… My brother’s death had brought us together, meeting Jack and his subsequent proposal would not have taken place if my brother had lived. Jack’s features clouded over, he stared at me anxiously. I returned to the present as I reached down and tenderly stroked Jack’s face. I summoned the courage to speak the words which would change my life forever.

 “Yes Jack… It would be my honour.” Jack placed the ring upon my trembling hand. I then flew into Jack’s awaiting arms and held on to him with all my might.

 “Oh Bella, you make me the happiest man alive. We are both so alone in this world, we deserve some happiness… Don’t we?” Jack lifted my head, he gazed searchingly into my eyes, as though he needed to reassure both of us, as though he could read the thoughts inside my head. “I believe it’s what your brother would have wanted…” I nodded, my eyes brimming with tears of joy. “I kept you at arm’s length, I needed to be sure I wasn’t being selfish by wanting to make you mine.” I melted at Jack’s touch as his hand gently caressed my face. “I had to know… Bella I love you so very much.”

 We kissed for the first time, the tenderness followed by the increasing firmness of his lips against mine sent a shock wave of motion through my body I responded and kissed him back greedily, abandoned to my passion, my hair tumbling down my back. All the moments of my life, everything I had seen and done were nothing compared to this. The sensation was overwhelming my lips parted and a jagged sigh of desire came from deep within me.

 “We really need to get to the church.” Jack disengaged himself gently from our embrace.

 He could have taken me that night, I would have followed him into that unknown land. Though for the first time in his life it appeared Jack Harkness wanted to do things the traditional way. Although Jack didn’t keep me waiting too long, before I could begin to anticipate it our wedding day was upon us and the beginning of a new life…

 “Welcome home Mrs. Harkness.” Before I could protest, Jack lifted me effortlessly as though I were a child and carried me over the threshold of our new home by the sea.

 “I love you… I wish we could stay in this moment forever.” As I spoke those words to my husband I meant them with all my heart.

 When I remember our marriage, those early years contained some of the happiest memories of my life and though he had lived many lives, I believe Jack felt the same way. That day I allowed myself not to fear the future, I felt safe for the first time in years and above all I was loved. That’s when the realisation dawned upon me, this incredible man from beyond the stars, from Earth’s own future… He was mine. Although I was also painfully aware of the downside to this happy union, I was married to a man who could never age or die.