Daylight Again

Captain Jack Harkness was standing on my doorstep in the harsh daylight. It seemed a long time since I had felt the sun on my face, I ushered him inside, glancing sideways to see if the neighbours were watching. I was alone in the house; I had sent the servant away. Jack Harkness was the only one I would have willingly let into my self-imposed solitude. When my eyes met his I almost smiled, then the painful memories of our first meeting returned to me. Yet despite this my heart beat quickened and because I could hear it I was certain he could. I blushed remembering our intimacy when we embraced at Torchwood. Yet I knew if Jack had opened his arms I would have flown straight into them. Captain Jack Harkness was still as devastatingly handsome in the day, he really did exist and yet he appeared more distant than he had been that night. I invited Jack into my sitting room, I could feel the tension rising inside me, and there were so many things I wanted to say. Before Jack was seated the questions tumbled from my mouth.

 “So the creature… Merak he was from another world? A future time. He spoke of such things, a terrible war that is coming.” Jack shifted awkwardly in his seat and looked out of the window, of course at the time I was completely oblivious to who this man really was and how much he knew about our future. “But what was Merak? It was as though he was something from a childhood story, a myth.” I cleared my throat self-consciously. “A Vampire and in Cardiff…” I whispered in awe but at the same time affronted. Life would never be the same again.

 Jack couldn’t help but have a little smile to himself at my incredulity but then he regarded me seriously and spoke to me as though I was his equal. I no longer felt like a naive girl. Jack reached across the room and took my hands in his.

 “They have visited this world before and for your ancestors they have been known as many things, Vampires being one. It was a Heamovite and it came through a doorway, a rift in time and space and he found his way to Earth Bella.”

 It felt strange yet pleasingly familiar when he called me Bella, everyone else a part from Fred called me Miss Isabella. The Captain’s train of thought seemed to follow mine as he anticipated my next question.

 “As for Fred…” Jack swallowed, barely able to speak his name. “Your brother, I don’t know what happened there. Though Heamovite’s are a race that have powers of mind persuasion, maybe Merak had some hold over Fred. I guess we will never know. I only wish I’d returned sooner. Now it’s my turn to ask the questions Bella.”

 Jack released his hold, his boldness and direct manner was like a hurricane, blowing away the dusty conventions of my confined world. I was determined to match his manner, even though my experiences at this time in my life were limited. I was convinced then as I am now that there was no one else in the world like him.

 “You know an awful lot; you have to understand my so called colleagues find it very disconcerting. By confiding in you, Fred broke every protocol of the institute, you’re very lucky Alice liked you. In fact that’s very exceptional.” Jack paused, raising his eyebrows wryly. Then he smiled warmly at me “But I guess you are an exceptional young woman Bella Jones.” I was taken aback by Jack’s comments and for the first time in my life I smiled back at the man who would one day be my husband. “By your composure, it would appear Fred told you enough…”

 “Enough Captain to know there are beings from other worlds even though I didn’t truly believe him before I encountered one. It was Fred who taught me to defend myself…”

 “I know… You have a good aim. That’s how I found you…You were very brave.” 

 Jack’s tone conveyed his admiration for me but it was of no interest for my useless actions had been unable to save my brother’s life. I must have drifted away for when my senses returned to the room Jack was kneeling at my chair.