16 - Warm Night

Mitsuo has finally finished the raft, however, it was already dark. Without anything, we can't risk traveling at night. In addition, even though he doesn't want to admit it, I know that Mitsuo is afraid of the open ocean. In the end, we decided to stay in this island tonight. He made a temporary shelter for us and we both took a rest.

Nakaupo ako lang ako sa gilid at inaalala ko lahat ng nangyari sa nakalipas na mga araw. My mind has never been this exhausted since my parents' death. I wanted to sleep but my thoughts won't allow me to.

Napatingin naman ako kay Mitsuo na nakahiga sa gilid ko. Bigla ko tuloy naalala ang nangyari kanina. He was so helpless a while ago and I thought I would lose him. He looked strong and invulnerable but seeing him like that a while ago was a breath of fresh air. It felt like the wall he built around him collapsed and all I could see was his true self.

Napangiti naman ako habang nakatingin sa likod niya. I know that he's a disaster, someone that could ruin me, but I can't help being drawn to him.

"You should rest," he suddenly said and he turned to my direction. I can't see anything because there was no light but his eyes gleamed in this darkness.

"Yeah. Later," I replied. Nagulat naman ako nang umupo rin siya.

In the middle of this silence, my heart throbbed painfully against my chest and I was worried if he could hear or feel it. The atmosphere was uncomfortable and the tension between us made it harder to breathe. May gusto akong itanong pero hindi ko alam kung dapat ba. Iniwas ko na lang ang tingin ko sa kanya at pinagmasdan ko ang dagat pero makalipas ang ilang minuto ay napagdesisyunan kong magsalita.

"Do you have someone you like?" I asked, breaking the silence. Hindi ko siya tinignan dahil natatakot akong makita ang expression niya. All of a sudden, I heard him chuckling.

"I don't even know if I'm capable to feel that," he said and that made me look at him.

"Is it because of your clan?"

"Yeah. We were raised as killing machines. I can kill someone without even blinking an eye. Do you think someone like me, a coldblooded executioner, has the right to love someone?"

His expression remained serious but his words held so much emotions. I wanted to say that everyone has a right to love but I didn't. Hindi ko alam kung bakit pero bigla kong naalala si Akemi. Magkapareho talaga silang dalawa. They both have dark secrets that can change everything if the people around them find them out.

"I have a question," sabi ko kaya napatingin siya.

"About what?"

"Do you know that Akemi is a Shinigami?"

"Yes. Right from the start," he said.

"Then why didn't you tell us?"

"Because she's a bit different and somehow similar to me. I saw myself in her," he said and the way he looked at me made me jittery. "We both defy the norm. I am a Senshin who kills to live. She's a Shinigami who can't even cut her ties with her archenemies."

"You're right."

Bigla ko namang naisip si Hideo. I knew that those two have special feelings for each other. However, because of their differences, it would only lead to tragedy. Hindi ko alam kung ano ang nangyayari ngayon pero sigurado akong hindi titigil si Hideo sa paghahanap sa kanya. He's that kind of guy, after all.

Itinuring ko nang kaibigan at parang kapatid si Akemi kaya naman nang malaman kong Shinigami siya ay kakaiba sa pakiramdam. Our tribes have been in constant fights since centuries ago so being connected with a Shinigami felt bizarre.