21 - Restart

I was too broken to function. In just one night, I lost a friend, my home and the most important person in my life. I was useless. Powerless. If I only used my ability . . . if I only stayed by his side . . .

What's the use of this power if I can't even stop his death?

'I will always remember you, Nathalie.'

I wailed while remembering his last words, the rain masking my misery. It pains me that I wasn't there when he needed help. It hurts me that he died alone.

Napatigil naman ako nang marinig ko ang pag-iyak ni Rainie. Hideo told me to run away because Rainie is one of their targets. I had to leave Nathan because of the situation and that made me more broken. I couldn't even tell him what happened to his father and now I'm leaving him for the sake of Hideo's daughter.

Akira, Michiko and Mayu helped me escape and when I reached the humdrum's world, the scenario has changed drastically. Contrary to the war happening in our world, this place looked happy. Fireworks brightened the sky and people were waiting for another year to start.

Rainie smiled at me and I felt sorry for her. She was just born yet she was already carrying a lot of burden on her little shoulders.

"I couldn't protect your mother so let me protect you instead," I said and it seemed like the rain has finally stopped. "Let's start a new life, Rainie. You and I."

***

"Kung may kailangan ka, sabihin mo lang sa akin."

"Okay. Thank you."

Tinignan ko naman ang loob ng maliit at lumang apartment na nakuha ko. The landlady was still in her post-New Year celebration mode so she just gave me the key after I paid her a 3-month rental fee. I had to thank Mayu for preparing a bag with the supplies we need to survive before venturing in this world.

Nilapag ko naman si Rainie sa isang lumang kumot at mukhang mahimbing ang tulog niya. Kailangan ko pang bumili ng mga gamot dahil mainit siya kanina.

Napaupo naman ako at doon ko naramdaman ang pagod. It was too noisy outside but my ears were rejecting the sound. I felt empty and lost. Suddenly, tears were streaming down my face. I still couldn't believe everything that happened. Pinagdadasal ko na sana panaginip lang ang lahat pero kapag naaalala ko ang mga nangyari ay ramdam ko ang sakit, at alam kong totoo ang mga iniisip ko. It was the reality I dreaded to happen.

I told him that I would rather live in pain than forget him but his memories, that saved me once, are now tearing me apart. It was more terrifying than what I had experienced in Shima. I didn't know that memories could destroy someone like this.

Naramdaman ko naman ang singsing sa daliri ko at lalo akong naiyak. I was beyond happy when he said he would marry me after soon. He even brought me to my parents' grave after that to ask for their permission. But now, it would just be a dream. I was willing to wait, but now it felt like waiting for something that isn't going to happen.

Hindi ko alam kung ilang araw akong nakatulala lang. Kumikilos lang ako kapag nagugutom si Rainie at kung kailangan. I wasn't on my right mind and my body felt heavy. Natauhan lang ako nang lagnatin si Rainie nang sobrang taas at kinailangan ko siyang isugod sa ospital.

Humdrum's blood do not go well with ours so I was worried and it might cause confusion to the doctors. I was about to get her out of the hospital because of those reasons but somebody looked at me with her curious eyes. The sunglasses covered my eyes so I wasn't concerned about their color but her gaze felt like it went through them. Lumapit siya sa akin at tumapat sa tenga ko.