Chapter 8

Marinette's Point of View

"It's only been two days, right? Just give it a week or two, Princess. It'll get better in time. I promise."

It has been exactly a month since I exposed my identity and Chat Noir promised me that everyone would start acting normal around me.

It never happened. Instead, I've basically lost my privileges of being another face in the crowd, of being Marinette. I could never be myself anymore.

At this point, I just started a homeschooling education and didn't bother leaving my room unless there was an akuma attack. Not many of those even occurred these days.

Previously when I would try to leave, I would just be bombarded by crowds of people of whom I would try and be friendly to. However, I could barely even hear my tired, drowned-out voice in these chaotic situations over their screams. Whenever Adrien was near, he would do his best to drive away the crowds and keep me sane.

"Hey little Ladybug! Someone's here to see you!" My father called up to my room. I groaned and prepared for a fan or whoever wanted to see Ladybug. I slipped on a smile and walked downstairs.

"Hello! Who wanted to see Lady-" I paused when I noticed who stood at the door and my fake smile fell.

"I'm not here to see Ladybug. I'm here to talk to Marinette," Chloe spoke with a gentle smile.

When I heard her speak my name, a wave of relief and surprise flushed over me.

"Marinette?" I repeated back, confused.

"Yep," she replied, widening her sweet smile.

"Uh... Okay. Here, you could come up to my... room," I offered, still confused as to why Chloe Bourgeois was acting like this and not insulting the heck out of me or fangirling over Ladybug.

She followed me up to my room and I allowed her a seat on my bed.

"So, I know this is crazy. Marinette, I've realized what a messed up girl I've become and I wanted to change it. I know how I've hurt you in so many ways and I can't even begin to express my apologies to you. I'm so sorry for all the things I've done to you. I'm not doing this because you're Ladybug. I'm not apologizing because you're a hero. I'm apologizing because you have shown me what it takes to be a hero and stand up for what's right. I am apologizing because you didn't deserve anything I threw at you, nor did anyone else. I came to you last because I felt you deserved the biggest apology I could give. I know you've been feeling lonely, and I know how it feels. I don't think I would know what it's like to be overwhelmed with fans, but I understand what it's like to be in need of a friend. I'm sure Alya will come around soon, but as for now, would you like to be friends? Asking for your forgiveness is a large thing, but you're a really sweet girl and your friendship is the most important thing another person could have," Chloe apologized, her sincere kindness pouring out to me.

"Of course I forgive you, Chloe. Everyone makes mistakes and it takes a real hero to admit it. So if you want to be friends, I'm open to the idea. I also wanted to thank you for sticking up for me when Alya was getting out of hand," I ran to hug her.

After a few seconds of surprise, she returned the gesture and hugged me back.

"Friends?" She held out her hand.

"Friends," my hand shook hers.