Chapter 17

With the plan of telling Alya the truth in mind, Chloe and I hurried back into my family's bakery and up my stairs.

My heart was beating fast at all the running we were doing. As we stopped at my room, we had to catch our breaths.

"Okay, where's my papers? What paper do I use? Should I just... send her a text? Oh wait, I broke my phone. Never mind," I realized again, staring at the phone I cracked during one of my tantrums.

I viciously attacked my desk for papers, but Chloe held up the box containing my diary.

"Why not use one of these?" She asked, handing me the diary.

"Good thinking," Tikki popped in, flying up from my pillow.

"Thanks Chloe!" I took the box back. Tikki tossed me the key, and I unlocked my diary box.

Quickly, I tore out a page from the diary and snatched up one of my pens.

Dear Alya,

I started to scribble.

"Now what?" I mumbled to myself.

Chloe looked over my shoulder and smiled, "Just tell her the truth. Tell her how you felt when she freaked out on you and ignored you for your alter ego."

You made me sad when you freaked out.

"Try to elaborate a bit more. I mean, you got straight to the point, so great job! Just give detail," Chloe advised.

What I mean was that you hurt my feelings. When I revealed my identity to you, I trusted you with this huge secret.

I revealed this to you guys because I felt it was time to show the other side of me. I thought it was time to let you know who I was.

I was really hurt when you revealed my identity on your blog, but mainly I was hurt because I couldn't talk to you anymore.

You called me by my persona, like Marinette wasn't relevant anymore. It really hurt me.

I know this was a crazy secret. I probably should've revealed it a little less bluntly. I'm sorry we haven't had the chance to talk.

Let's start over.

I miss you.

-Marinette

I signed my name and folded the paper in half.

"I'm ready to give this to her. I think I'll just leave it at her door, and hopefully she'll come over or talk to me the next time I see her," I told both Chloe and Tikki.

"You've got this!" Chloe encouraged me. I heard her phone beep, meaning she received a text.

Her face expressed slight annoyance when she unlocked her phone and read the text to herself.

"Darn, my dad needs me to greet the other mayors and their families coming to his hotel," Chloe told me, locking her phone and slipping it into her purse.

"Oh, you should go ahead! Good luck!" I said, slipping the paper into an envelope.

"Are you sure you'll be alright giving your letter to Alya by yourself?" Chloe asked, biting her lip with worry.

"Don't worry, I'll just drop it at her door or something," I assured her.

She quickly pulled her phone back out to text her dad or driver back, then she dropped her phone back into her purse.