trust

Josh clenched and unclenched his hands as Tyler faced him, the look of trust overwhelming his gaze.

Goddamnit, even with being tapped out all the signs of love and trust were written all over the smaller boy's body like paint on a canvas. Goddamnit, the trust was so ironic it hurt.

That was the flaw with his ability that made it majorly less cool. It was different, it made him stand out. It made him out as a nosy, intrusive person who didn't know how to respect boundaries. He wasn't, but having tbe ability to see people's emotions, and consciously use it to detect what was wrong with Tyler was sneaky and underhanded at best.

Things had been going wo well between him and tyler. Despite the threat of Chris returning like a blotch ot ink on a page, Tyler had seemed generally happier and more comfortable. The blackness had been receeding more for larger amounts of time, replaced by pink and blue.

Trust.

Trust me, Josh wanted to say. Trust me when I tell you that I just wanted to make sure you were safe, that I looked in your head because I loved you. I love you.

But instead he wrung his hands, clearing his throat. He had never told anyone about this.

"This is gonna sound terrible, and you're probably gonna get mad, okay? But please, trust me. I- I meant the best for you, I still do."

Tyler nodded, his brows drawinf together with faint concern. But the trust was still there.

Josh took a deep breath. It was like ripping off a bandage, he just had to say it.

"Okay so I've had this thing with me since I was born where I can see people's emotions."

The sentence tumbled out of Josh before he could stop himself. Suprise and confusion etched their way onto Tyler's angelic face.

"What do you mean?" he asked, slowly now.

"I-" Josh grunted in irritation, tugging at a loose strand of silver hair. "I can see what people are feeling, okay? Their emotins appear over thier heads in clouds and stuff. I know what everyone is feeling."

Josh squeezed his fists arounf the pillow in his lap as Tyler shifted back noticeably. His eyes were clouding over with an unfamiliar emotion, at coming from Tyler.

Anger.

"You can see emotions? Everyone's emotions?"

Josh noddee, mouth dry.

Tyler's brows slammed together, eyes narrowing slightly. Hostility was radiating off of him now.

"What about me?"

Josh nodded again, nervously. Tyler's jaw clenched.

"You looked inside my head?"

One final nod, Josh's eyes on the floor. Tyler's hostility had changed to anger.

"Isn't that intrusive?" Tyler asked pointedly, small frame stiff.

"It's not like I can control it," Josh tried, knowing it was a weak argument. Tyler scowled slightly.

"So what, you just see everyone's emotions at all tiens, no matter where you are?"

"Well, no-"

"So you can control it?" Tyler stood up suddenly, backing away from Josh.

"Yes." Josh muttered, eyes fixed on Tyler's red socks.

"And it doesn't bother you at all that you read my mind for nearly two months?"