liar

True to his word, Josh arrived at Pete's doorway in under five minutes. He really was getting good at driving at the highest possible speed without crashing. It was impressive, in a way.

He knocked a trifle too hard on his best friend's door, unable to control the nervousness that was whirling around inside him. Was it too much to ask, having everything go well? He just needed this one thing to work, he just needed the confession to scare Chris and nothing more. He just needed to kick the last few skeletons out of Tyler's closest, and then everything could be okay. Anything could happen and Josh would still be okay, as long as he had Tyler.

Pete opened the door in an instant, a wall of bright red anger nearly knocking Josh off his feet. He hurried in, wincing as Pete's anger and irritation attached the back of his neck like knives. He was about to walk into the living room when Pete yanked on the back of his shirt, pulling behind the corner.

"Who the hell is this person?" he hissed. "No, don't answer that. I'm already developing ulcers from everything that happened with Tyler, I don't need anything else. Just..."

Josh bit back a smile. "Just what?"

"Get her out, please." Pere tightened his grip on Josh's wrist. "She's eating all my food, Josh, all of it!"

"My condolences, Pete." Josh rolled his eyes and shook Pete off, making his way into the living room. "In my defence I've only met her once, so I didn't know she had such a penchant for taking stranger's food."

Pete just snorted and flopped down on the couch, his cloud of anger swirling around the matching one above Mel's head.

"Hey, Josh." she smiled at him, a little tense. "Glad you could come. Your friend over here seems a little on edge..."

Josh ignored the fact that Pete was rapidly turning the same colur as his emptions and focused his attention on Mel. In her hand was a small leather file.

"Is that it?" he asked, his voice growing quiet. Even Pete's anger dissapared, replaced by curiosity as he moved closer to where Mel was seated, now toying with the file in her hands.

She nodded, dark blue swirling around her head, the feae rubbing off on Josh. He didn't know ifnhe wanted to see it or not. The obvious hesitation on Mel's part wasn't helping. Something was up.

"Is there...is there anything wrong with it?" he asked tentatively.

Mel looked sick.

Josh's heart dropped ten feet doen into the ground. Pete's eyes narrowed slightly.

"What's the file?" he asked Josh, blanking Mel. What scared Josh even more was that she didn't even react to Pete's cold shoulder. Her eyes were shut and she looked on the verge of nervous collapse, greenish yellow battling with the blue-black in her mind.

"It's a murder confession," Josh said slowly, eyes still on Mel. "From Tyler's father, confessing to the fact that he killed his son, the crime Tyler's mom was sent to an asylum for. We, Mel and I, thought it could be used..."

He trailed off, eyss boring into Mel, ripping past the layers of emotions to reveal what he was dreading to find. Maybe she was just nervous, she was probably just nervous.

"What, like blackmail?"

Josh nodded absently, still staring at the hunched girl. "It was gonna stop him from taking legal possession of Tyler again."

"Was?" Pete asked incredulously. He turned to Mel, suspicion written all over his face. "I thought the whole point of this meeting was so that you could exchange the file, chitchat about what Josh was gonna say, that stuff."