(Feren X Reader) As Each Other's Lives

For Twag53

Men shivered as the snow fell upon the area in which they had taken shelter after the abrupt destruction of Esgaroth by the great Dragon Smaug. However, the Elves, who camped with them, did not feel the frigid air as it bit their fair skin, causing even the palest of Elves to turn to the color of deep snow. Rather, they felt indifferent from they way in which they did in their own homeland of Mirkwood.

All of the Men and Elves remained busily at work, usually with a physical task. However, several of the head Elves were currently holding a council with the leaders of the Men within a dark tent. They had taken immense care in placing their makeshift hall far from the earshot of the others surrounding them. And since none could so much as say where they were, they had clearly done their deed correctly.

Within the grand tent stood of the Elves Thranduil, King of Mirkwood, and his two children, Legolas Greenleaf and (Y/N) of Mirkwood. Beside the regal family stood Tauriel, Captain of the Mirkwood guard, and Feren, being one of the most loyal Elves to his king.

As for the Men, Bard and several presumed colleagues of his stood on the opposing side of their Elven visitors.

Discussions had been primarily concerning the King under the Mountain's wretched gold-sickness, as well as how they would manage to perhaps collect some of the Mountain's precious stone for themselves. Council had been given both for and against forcefully taking a share of the treasure, but mainly the members of the temporary council wished to continue negotiations with the Dwarf king.

All, save Feren, were deeply involved enthralled in the heedless debate at hand. For as the others about him spoke and plotted, Feren found himself intently eyeing the young elven princess, (Y/N).

The two had been wishing greatly to court one another for quite a long while now, however complications from King Thranduil had prevented them from doing so. They felt so deeply for one another that they both, in fact, still began to feel an immense sense of nervousness while around one another.

They loved, and yet they could not love.

Feren greatly enjoyed hearing (Y/N)'s voice, and he especially loved to see her act as a leader, which he knew that she may very well become one day upon Thranduil bestowing his throne to the heir of his choosing. Feren saw her as perfect, and none could change that.

"I say that we negotiate with more force. We simply must show the fool that we are quite serious!" Thranduil snapped, causing Feren's mind to return to the present debate. Feren watched as Bard and some of his Men began to nod in agreement, but his attention hurriedly returned to his own company upon hearing (Y/N) present an argument.

"We cannot! We have no right to this gold, and by forcefully taking it -as most of you silently propose- we are no better than he which is sickened and poisoned by the cursed treasure!" (Y/N) had clearly breached the minds of many of those within the council, and many agreed now agreed with her, yet some still opposed her.

"What good will come of us allowing him to keep all of his wretched gold, dear sister? We must remove some of the burden from his weary shoulders if he is ever to rule this land again," Legolas defended his father, which was seen as highly unusual. (Y/N) gaped at her brother, and commented in the elven tongue that he was a true fool.

"Mellon, please," Tauriel quietly pleaded with her princess. She had seen many great battles between her and Legolas, and she, as well as the remainder of the company, did not wish to witness another great outbreak of war.

Thranduil sighed and chimed in a rather bored tone, "Yes, my children, you must end this foolhardy rivalry."

(Y/N) and Legolas exchanged glares for a long while before (Y/N)'s face suddenly softened. Feren barely saw Legolas mouth something to his sister as the council continued to debate and argue all about them. Feren watched curiously as the two seemed to have a deep telepathic conversation. Feren grinned slightly as he thought to himself that this must very well have been something that only true siblings could accomplish.