Chapter Five-Eternal Love

Duncan

I land on the grass at the bottom of the tower that Kim's friend is being held in. What did she mean by 'happiness is right in front of you' or whatever it is she said. She definitely is a strange one.

With that thought out of the way, I make my way around the stairs to the brewery and through the door of Kim's tower. I go up the stairs to her storage room, and hear her moan in distress. She must still be effected by the sight of Sarah's burnt up leg.  I quicken my speed as I walk across her store room and make my way up the next set of stairs that lead up to her bedroom.

I see her sitting on the side of her bed opposite to me, hunched over with her head in her hands, and her elbows resting on her knees.

I quickly scale the distance between us and sit beside her, resting one of my hands on her back.

"Shhhhhh it's okay." I whisper to her, feeling her shaking underneath my hand that rubs her back in circles.

I move my hand to the side of her waist that is opposite to me, and give it a little tug, beckoning her to fall into my lap.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Kim

I let myself fall into Duncan's lap as he brings his other hand to my head. He gently pushes my hair out of my face and runs his hand through it.

"It's okay Kim." he says quietly.

I turn onto my back so that I can look up to the scientist. I smile at the sight of him. He makes me forget all of the bad memories.

I put my right hand on his left that now rests on my stomach. He smiles, and continues to run his fingers through my long black hair.

We're silent for a moment, just smiling at each other at a loss for words.

"Did anybody ever tell you that you're beautiful Kim?" he says, making a daring first move.

No, I think. All my life I've been told quite the opposite.

I want to tell him about my ungrateful family, but I just smile wider instead.

He starts to lean down so his face becomes closer to mine.

What's gotten into him? Usually we've just stayed friendly with each other. Our feelings for each other usually burned on the inside, but remained mutual on the outside. That's just the way that it has been the whole time I've been here.

Even with these thoughts, I still lean my face towards his.

His eyes close and I do the same.

We stop just shy of each others lips, asking each other silently if we are really ready for this.

Apparently we both agree, because he leans in all of the way and brushes his lips against mine.

I kiss him back and he pushes back, hard.

No, no I can't do this.

I push away, and move myself out of his lap.

I need to get out of here.

I move past his stalled body, down the stairs in a rush and out the door, using my jetpack to abandon the castle, and hopefully stop the memories from flowing.

Come on, come on, come on! I have to get out of here!

I make my way across the forest, but the memories flow my mind. I clutch my head and make my way down to the top of a tree, closing my eyes as soon as I land.